Tuesday, July 28, 2009

L Hotel, Tin Hau, Hong Kong

It was a Monday on 27th yesterday and I thought I could have easily booked a table in most of the restaurants but amazingly all the top-lined restaurants or five/four star hotel restaurants were fully booked. I got told it's simply because nowadays many students in HK can afford their "thanks teacher" dinner in all those high class hotels. The kids in HK are indeed quite rich or maybe super rich as compared to other Countries. Their rich parents may spend too much time on the stock markets and simply compensate with abundant money to their kids for not accompanying them. So finally I got to find a table in this L Hotel in Tin Hau on Hong Kong Island. Frankly speaking, the look of this hotel does make me feel it's restaurant shouldn't be bad. Then I was going thru' an amazing journey.

1/2. the hotel entrance.

3. the lobby area. 4. the cafe inside. When I took this photo, I found out something interesting. To be told in the last photo.

5. another view to the cafe inside. 6. Shrimp with beet root salad underneath. Can you tell what was missed in this photo? Answer is also on the last photo.

7. cold dishes. Some of them are quite nice but in general the food is a bit too salty. 8. Hot and cold - these 2 photos also missed something.
9. one more dish for hot food. 10. congee - it's just so so.
11. sliced pear soaked in red wine juice. It's ok as compared to the others. 12. the cheese cake and tiramisu are not to my taste. Note the Dairy Farm ice cream but I somehow like it because it relates to my Childhood.

13. herbal jelly - a canned one. 14. ok, the answer is this friendly street lam light. If you can noticed all the above photos, you would find a shade of light coming in horizontally. Except for the photo no. 11, I couldn't help for not using the flash to take the photo as it's too dim. Why - the answer is simple. The cafe didn't have any in-room lamps at the window side. The good part is the hotel is very eco-friendly and must be an environmentalist. When they first built this hotel, they must have counted in the street lamp light coming in the Cafe. So it does help them save the electric bill. However, if you sit against the street lamp, you would feel uncomfortable when you speak to your friends with bright light on the behind.





2 comments:

Stella said...

I want to be the teacher in HK just because of this "Thank Teacher" meal.
You are right SEA, HK is one of the top 10 cities in the world with the highest number of millionarie(per sf), the highest average pay, and also the highest cost of living. I think it has exceeded New York City, but not sure if it has exceeded Tokyo yet.
By the way, LA has no "Thank Teacher" meal at all. I think this is a bad practice. At least we shall show some appreciation to the teachers some way. No need to be expensive like in a hotel but at least some kind of expression. US is pretty bad in this sense. Not enough respect to teachers.

in the sea said...

My Italian business friends told me "your country has a good cultural background. Your people live with parents and respect the older.".

As for my "thank teacher" dinner, I was the DJ and my English teacher (a Filipino lady) came to me for playing some very nice music. I played some pop ballad songs. After the teachers left, I changed the music mood to dance music. Then my classmates came to me " - wow, I didn't expect you prepare some songs for us. So we had a very enjoyable night which is still so fresh in my brain.