Saturday, July 25, 2009

My potato salad

When UNY (Japanese dept. store) was first opened in Tai Koo Shing in 1984, my friend and I (was just a student then) went to a glass sheltered Japanese restaurant. I had a sandwich and they put a small scoop of potato salad. Wow, the taste still echoes in my taste buds over the year and I missed that cafe so much. The Chef put some curry in the potato salad and some chopped onion in it. So during my year in CA in 1994, I got to come across some very nice potato from Idaho in the grocery. Then that potato salad came up in my mind. So I spent a few times to make my own potato salad. Ok, the ingredients are nice potato, eggs, miracle whip, relish, chopped onion, curry powder. You can judge what the amount is but the key point is that after you boil the potato, you need to put it in the fridge for a few hour or over night to cool down it. This way, the potato wouldn't be mashy because hot potato will get mashy when you stir it. Then the onion should be cut in quarter and soak in "boiled" cool water. This way, the onion strong flavour wouldn't be too overwhelming. Then the miracle whip and relish should be little by little until it's to your taste. The curry powder shouldn't be much. Just add it little by little until you think it's right.

5 comments:

Thailand Club said...

potato salad is one of my favorite salad :)

Paranoid Android said...

Goodness! You can cook as well! You are amazing.

in the sea said...

Yes, I enjoy cooking because from it you will find something to enlighten your thought towards certain thing, and also to appreciate what the Chef's thoughtfulness in making the food. So it's a very nice "give and take" process. After I take some nice food and I also wanna give some nice food to the others in return.

Stella said...

Paranoid,
SEA is a good chef beside a good gourmet in fact. Please go to other posts to see his home cooking lessons with recipe and instruction included.

in the sea said...

Thanks SS. I often wanna make the Chinese year cake again and also the turnip cake and write down the recipe so that in my old time, I can still remember.