Thursday, March 31, 2011

Yuet Heung Restaurant 悅香飯店, Wanchai, Hong Kong

This restaurant has been very famous for its "Chicken soaked in dried scallop/dried shrimp soup" (香妃鷄). Tried this about 15 years ago, but got annoyed with their services or I should say no services. So at my recent visit, their services maintained the same. When I entered the place, the receptionist used her finger to point to upstairs. The waiters are for sure on the same level of silence. Ordered their signature chicken. A bit disappointed with the chicken having been soaked in the soup a bit too long. Tured out a bit salty and the meat a bit rough. HK$145 for half portion is a bit expensive to me, considering this quality. So the kai lan stir fried with semi-sun dried squid is pretty good. The sweet and sour pork is also in a right method of cooking. Yes, the method is but the technique isn't. They used the pickled baby onion 喬頭 and this is the classic one. However, it's a bit too sweet and the final deep frying isn't right to have it dry enough. After the meal, I asked if they have a dessert menu. A rough "no" was given. So this rough answer does go with their rough chicken texture. Very consistent. I guess I'll wait for another 15 years to try my next visit. :)

5 comments:

Thailand Club said...

haha another restaurant in memory ..

Stella said...

It is amazing that this restaurant can survive for 15 years for the chicken at a bit high price and a bit low quality with a bit lousy service.
Hard to believe you only visited this restaurant 15 years ago considered this is located at Wanchai.

Anonymous said...

This restaurant was near inside Wanchai market long time ago. It was quite good. But after they famous they moved to Tam son road.

in the sea said...

Then I need to insert a word as "in forgettable memory of".
Stella, there are things which is hard to explain sometimes. I just wanna give it a try like it's discharged from a correctional center. Give them a chance. My unpleasant memory was fighting with my forgiveness.
Anonymous, thanks for some background of this restaurant. It should be good back then.

Stella said...

OK, at least you gave them a second chance.