Monday, April 18, 2011

Ferry across the mercy - Kwun Tong Pier

Lots of memory with this Kwun Tong Pier. There wasn't any flyover (photo 2). The area on photo 1 had a lot of street stalls. This afternoon it was almost empty. The pier had only 1 customer (me). See how empty of the pier inside was. So soon this route will be cancelled. Then a crowd of people will suddenly show up and cry for "collective memory". Why don't they treasure it when it is still there.
Kwun Tong (photo 6/7) is undergoing a face lift. Together with the new cruise pier (Kai Tak Airport), this whole area will be hard to recognize.
*Met my aunt today and got to know all the way from Kwun Tong to Kowloon Bay is only a bay. Almost 80% of the land were reclaimed. Due to the sea current trapped in Kowloon Bay, at the World War II, this area was all corpses floating and of course very stinky. This area was so much "unwanted", and of course lots of ghost stories. My aunt also told my grand father was an exorcist. Now I know why I met so many ghosts when I was kid - a payoff from what my grand father did. So my grand father taught quite a few rules. 1. in the night time if you are in some quiet area and you feel something not all right, grab just only 1 grass and swing that at your back. 2. when you hear some sound, and then someone calling your name, don't look back.

Another thing I just got to learn is that according to my aunt, not all the Japanese army stationing in HK were bad. She claimed there were some good ones. Right now she could speak that up because in the old time if she said things like that, definitely she would be considered as a betrayer.








5 comments:

poly said...

1988年我每天上班都經過這裡,人的腳步聲比海浪聲還大,現在是反過來,社會的步伐發展太快了,一些美好的事物也被遺忘。

pixmation said...

It's quite fitting that you presented these in black and white photos.

Anonymous said...

人係好奇怪, 在失去時才珍惜. 昨天狂風暴雨, 黑白照片更加點滄桑, 難以想像這個碼頭曾一度風光.

Stella said...

Thank you for the nice photos about the faded glory of Kwun Tong Pier.

in the sea said...

Poly, at that time, the Saiwanho pier was closer. It was very busy in the 80's.
Pixmation, I found out my macbook has a much more detailed contrast balance and color separation. I checked on the other window notebook on these photos. Very different. Apparently the display card and the screen are the issue.
Anonymous, yes, it was quite stormy and I took the chance of some finer sky for these photos.