Friday, April 08, 2011

Shin Yeh Taiwanese restaurant, Chung Hsiao E. Rd. sec. 4 欣葉台菜,忠考東路四段靠近大安路

Shin Yeh is almost like my must-visit restaurant whenever I am in Taipei. The only Taiwanese dialect I can speak is this chilled clam in garlic wine soy sauce (photo 1), as "Na Ayr". I can take one whole dish by myself. However, not many people like it since it is served chilled and with some wine aroma in it. My second favourite is the veggie, egg with crushed peanut roll (潤餅). I can take 1 whole order (2 rolls). Again, not too many people like this one since there is some parsley inside. I love this magic mix of all these ingredients.
The 3rd thing is their stir fried rice noodle and 4th is their deep fried squid balls. Both are done very nice every time I try.


3 comments:

Mickey Mouse said...

don't know why those Taiwanese deli shops and bistros r so good in Taiwan, but no good overseas!

in the sea said...

This is quite strange. Shin Yeh and Chin Yeh 青葉 and few other Taiwanese restaurants failed in Hong Kong in the early 90's. I still remember their old branches in Sunning Rd (Causeway Bay) and Minden Ave (棉登徑/麼地道) (Tsimshatsui). Besides, there were a big variety of the Taiwan's no. 1 sauce/seasoning brand Kimlan (金蘭) but now 90% of Kimlan are no longer here. Their soy sauce and sesame oil are very good. Kimlan was my regular choices back to the old days for my cooking time in the family. I really miss those.
The other thing is the local ingredients, e.g. the parlsey in Taiwan is not that overwhelming and it's a bit sweeter than those we can find in HK or BKK. The Taiwanese scallion is also pretty sweet. It's probably thanks to their soil (from the rich mineral of volcanoes).
There are many geologists staying in Taiwan for studying a micro-earth atmosphere. Taiwan as a big island has the most dynamic climatic scenes to reflect each place of the Earth. Even it's now in early April, some snow is still up there on the Yu Mountain 玉山. In the ancient Chinese history, Taiwan is called a heavenly island 蓬萊仙島.

Stella said...

So yummy and tempting.