Monday, April 11, 2011

From Sai Wan Ho to Lei Yue Mun

The first time I crossed the harbour from Shaukiwan to Lei Yue Mun was on a sampan ride. My mother rowed the sampan (搖栳) with only one rear paddle. I was only 4 but was so impressed because that time my mother stopped rowing the boat in the middle of the sea and asked me not to hang my hand out of the boat. All of a sudden, the boat was floating up with some big current underneath. I guess it's something big down there. So we arrived at my aunt's place on this point-to-point trip without walking on the road. That's probably the last time I took on a sampan.
Afterwards we took a scheduled service on a small boat with engine (about 15 feet long) or I should say Wa La Wa La (a shuttle boat for bringing the sailors from big ships to shore. Later on, Yau Ma Tei ferry took this route and so we took a much bigger boat, but it's no more point-to-point trip. However, as the shore line keeps moving onward, ferry service is no longer popular. Today I took a smaller boat (about 25 feet long) and re-visited on this old-path journey.
1/2. Shaukiwan is now with many high rise buildings. The typhoon shelter got much smaller.
3. Ah Kung Ahrm.
4. Yau Tong and where my aunt's place was.
5. This rocky area has been a dangerous place for ships coming in and out of the harbour. Some boats got stuck here. Amazing we can see those buildings in Chai Wan. Used to be nothing out there.
6/7. Lei Yue Mun - where a lot of seafood restaurants are.
8. view to Quarry Bay and North Point.






No comments: