Friday, May 20, 2011

The Pawn, Wanchai HK 和昌大押

Posted about this place 3 years ago when it was first opened. Didn't have much courage to try it after all. Lately I have been in a trend for lousy food, I then thought about this one to fill up my course. It turned out half and half; so in this instance the experience is considered good on a curve standard. I told my friend already "this place doesn't need any booking for sure.". Turned out "not at all. We can get a table straight away", and it's the peak lunch time 1pm.
1. The table setting and the bread is pretty good though.
2. 3 course set lunch at HK$150+ with a starter salad. I think this one is the best in all the 3 courses. Then I was sliding down...
3. Pan fried sole with water cress salad. The sole was pan fried pretty nice but a bit too salty to me. Water cress is a bit rotten.
4. Banana walnut cake. A big mistake made - the chef was a bit in a rush for having it done by speeding the raising process. That resulted in a "dry bitter" flavour in the cake. So he used tons of sugar to cover it. So worst covers worse. Double shot, but not a cup of coffee.
5. The drink menu doesn't have any coffee or other drinks except tea and lots of wine and wide choice of cigars. So this place is tended for drinking and smoking. My apology for entering into a wrong place for food.
6-9. OK, then switch to the point as a place for drinking and smoking. The Luard road refuse (garbage) station is only 20 feet opposite away to it. So at this balcony and if it's in the winter time (when north wind prevails), your wine and cigars would be added with some complimentary "fermented" aroma.
10. a speaker but no music. Supposed this is a place for drinking and smoking. Music is the most essential thing. No bossa nova. No Jazz. No R&B. No lounge music. Is it a "talk" bar then? Talk, inhale complimentary "fermented" air from the refuse station, smoke, and drink and pass out? I really don't know what this place is oriented to. My label for this place in this blog section would be "unclassified". Congratulations on its first to be on this label.
11. the inside.
12. the outside.










6 comments:

Mickey Mouse said...

through ur lens and photo skill yacky food looks like gourmet .. hahaha

Anonymous said...

Again no people in your photos. This place may be good for foreign and modern people. Chinese don't like going to pawn shops because its not lucky.

in the sea said...

Thanks Mickey. Lately I tended to be a bit more handy with my Sony TX10 which is good during this rainy season. The salad and bread are pretty good. So that's why I gave it rated as half and half. I may come back at another time. This place is good for me to bring my foreign visitors.
Anonymous, it wasn't crowded when I visited here, but it could be very crowded in the evening time. I think your assumption is right too that Chinese would avoid visiting pawn shops in the sense of fortune. They should make a corner as "fortune kingdom".

Stella said...

Good to know there is still food in HK not considered good.
Yes the food here looks better than your comments.
The hard boiled egg looks good though.

Thailand Club said...

if a restaurant make the bread right (or buy the right bread) then it is half success already .. and the salad and spring egg look nice, decent food styling too

in the sea said...

I think maybe when their services turned to be very "hea" (chill out or laid back), it just gave me a very negative impression, especially when the dessert was served. As I recall, the salad and bread are pretty good and I shall go back again for another try.
Interesting that it's not the guests to chill out. It's the waiters/waitresses to chill out... :)