Monday, January 12, 2009

Ho Chi Minh City, Saigon, Vietnam

Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon) has a population of 6 million (total 83 million in Vietnam) people, ranked as the most populated city in Vietnam. The capital city Hanoi is the second with 4 million and Da Nang with 2 million (if you would notice most HKG-BKK flight often fly over Da Nang before hitting Thailand). Ho Chi Minh City is a bit below my expectation. The city's infrastructure really needs to be improved. The locals take motorbikes as their own transportation. So the air pollution is the worst among all the cities I have ever been to. Also, it's so noisy. I would prefer Hanoi after all.

1. a view to the western part of Hong Kong Island. See how heavy the smog is around HK island, due to polluted air emitted from the factory plants in Shen Zhen area. The HK Gov't should know that dealing in the control of HK's air pollution doesn't improve the air quality much. I really hope those senior officers should have had a better study about geography when they were in high school! 2. the Opera House in Ho Chi Minh City.

3. the bathroom of Sheraton Saigon. 4. the Saigon Cafe. 5. the lobby.
6. the lobby. 7. the bedroom

8/9. the breakfast - that's the most rewarding meal for me during my stay. It's not that outstanding but just I had too much "local" food.
10 the swimming pool, Sheraton Saigon.

11. Hotel Continental. 12. City Hall.

13. a cinema - doesn't it remind you your old time memory? 14. Ben Thanh market - an indoor market like any other tourist place. Advise not to shop there. The shops can drop their prices from $100 to $20 even you don't say anything. I was told by the locals that the price was marked up by almost 10 times.
15. What a spectacular scene of motorbikes! By the way, if I have a super wide angle lens, you would see this motorbikes is like a long endless stream. 16. the pirate CD shop market - the shops will tailor made whatever compilation you like. I think it's the worst pirate market I have ever seen.

17. One of the record companies I visited. I noticed they live there and work there too. 18. the Copyright collection society in Ho Chi Minh City.

19/20. Saigon River - very quiet.

21. Saigon River in day time - it's mainly for transportation. I think they should have developed it for more tourists. 22. the Rose Lounge of Ho Chi City Airport.

23/24. the Ho Chi Minh City Airport.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

now i realize why Bangkok is full of tourists, faster than expected, after the airport reopened! Thailand has its own charm!

Anonymous said...

Yes Anonymous Jan 13, 5:50 am, I agreed with you 100%.
Thailand is like the heaven in terms of food, people, variety of food, quality of food, the good price of food, the massage, the seafood, the dessert, its shopping, and even its weather. Although you may think Thailand is hot, it is not any hotter than LA. And it is not as humid as HK or Taiwan and yet not as dry as LA. Thailand is just super. I love Thailand at first sight. And I love the people there too. They are friendly in general.
From,
Party Animal

in the sea said...

It is true that Thailand in many ways has its own charm, among all the places I have been to in SE Asia.