Thursday, January 15, 2009

Maxim's restaurant, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

On the first night arriving Ho Chi Minh City, my business fellows and I went to this Maxim's restaurant next to the Hotel Majestic. Apparently from the name of this restaurant, the atmosphere and the food are quite French influenced.

1. baby lotus stem salad - I immediately ordered this one as I wanna compare my favourite dish I tried in Nha Trang Viet restaurant in HK. Quite disappointing - this one is not that good as they used too much Chinese celery and make the taste too overwhelming. 2. cheese baked clam - this one is actually quite French and I think it's the best we have ordered.

3. No need to tell - garlic bread. However, we got told it's a very foreign taste food but no matter what, it's not my preference as I like plain bread without anything, not even with butter or jam. 4. Fried shrimp chip - pretty good but a bit oily and the frying and oil control technique needs to be improved.

5. The young coconut is a bit different from what we have tasted in Thailand, but it's bigger inside. However, I prefer the Thai young coconut. 6. Maxim's seafood soup - much too sweet (sugar taste). Interesting I found something unmatched in the soup - like string bean and Chinese green but it's in a tomato soup base.
7. Ain't it look like a Chinese stir fried noodle but this time the other ingredients are much more than the noodle. 8. seafood omelette - a bit oily but it's quite tasty.

9/10. the restaurant

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went to Maxims in 08 and we are going back in 09 The food was fantastic the music was cool with a Jazz band playing at the bar. We paid Sydney prices but it was worth every cent

in the sea said...

Thanks Anonymous 5:15. The food over there was very nice and I think due to the early years of American culture influence, did reflect on their live much.