Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My fried chicken wings


1. On the second day of CNY, my sisters'/brother's families and I had a dinner gathering and we ordered the "mixed food casserole (盤菜)" from Maxim's fast food. I couldn't comment on it as I didn't get a chance of trying it. According to my sisters, it is not so good.

2. From the inspiration of Grey Hound fried chicken wings, I tried this one. However, it's a failure to me. First, because of insufficient time of defrosting it, I couldn't let it defrost it on conducting room temperature. When I marinate it, it's not dry enough; so the fish sauce couldn't be absorbed into it well. I think next time I shall have done it better if I have more time to defrost the wings, and marinate it for at least 1-2 hours. BTW, cutting the wings in split is quite dangerous. So better be careful if you do it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So this is what you did tonight.
The wing looks good to me.
By the way, the safer way to split the chicken wing is to use the knife that has "teeth"(it is not as sharp). The knife with no teeth is too sharp and dangerous.
How much is the the "poon choi" shown here?
We might have "poon choi" this weekend. If we do, will show you the photo later.
From,
SS

in the sea said...

Yes, that's the better knife for cutting. However, since I learned cooking, I get used to use the Chinese heavy knife to cut almost everything. Actually last night I cut the chicken wing in the middle part with the sharp corner of the knife and use your right palm to press the knife down on it. It will then be split on the upper half part. So I held the wing vertically and cut it all the way down.

The "poon choi" is around $380 something like that.

Anonymous said...

excuse me, use scissors to cut chicken wings la

/TC

in the sea said...

Yes, most people use scissors to cut chicken. Remember don't hold the wings with your other hand. It's slippery. For me, I still use a heavy Chinese knife as I get used to it. Those utensils including scissors can get some dirt in their parts easily. For knife, it can be cleaned easily well. :)

Anonymous said...

美心盤菜因為有太多芋頭,因為翻熱熔化了後便令其他物也有一層芋漿,no good。
其實雞翼是很美味的,你看見的四隻是我們在極力保護下才可留給大廚(網主)的。

in the sea said...

Thanks Nikki for the compliment. I somehow still need to practise more on deep frying food as I haven't done that for many years due to various reasons.

About that Maxim's casserole, I think they missed deep frying the taro. If they did, it wouldn't be that mashy. Next time let me do this one for all of you. It's not difficult at all.