Monday, January 05, 2009

Jer Ngor restaurant, soi 20 Sukhumvit, Bangkok

TC brought me to the branch of Jer Ngor on Sathorn BMW bldg. 11/F about 7-8 years ago and I got amazed with the way they stir fried morning glory. Now Jer Ngor has been expanding with more and more branches. So I brought my sister to visit this one on soi 20 of Sukhumvit Road (quite far from the main entrance of soi 20, about 700 meters to 1km). I told my sister it's like Maxim's Palace restaurant in HK (decoration-wise).

1. the chopsticks is with some very traditional greeting. 2. duck tongue in fried garlic. This one is average to me. Maybe I don't like fried garlic. I prefer duck tongue in sweet dark soy sauce.

3. the signature dish - stir fried "split" morning glory. The chef stir fried it at a very high heat and maintain the crispy texture of morning glory. Excellent! 4. this time we tried their sharks' fin and it turned out pretty good too. Note that they used some quite expensive shark's fin.
5. deep fried crab roll - super good! They put some minced semi fat pork and make it very juicy and tasty! 6. another signature dish - seabass grilled in sealed rocky salt. I think this one is even better than Kanabnam. They control the grilling temperture in a very nice way, keeping the moisture and the sweet taste of the seabass. Also, they didn't take the scales off. I recall my grand ma often told me to keep the scales to have the original "fish" sweet taste.

7. fried rice with salty fish. Pretty good - quite dry and not oily. 8. stir fried flat noodle with seafood. Also nice as it's not oily.

9. steamed prawn. It's quite of HK standard. 10. Don't you think it looks like Maxim's Palace Restaurant in HK.

10 comments:

Stella said...

If this the one in YMCA Building with a Chinese Name called "Jer(Big sister) Or" at the entrance door? And they are famous with the "white boiled shrimp". If yes, I think I have been here.

Thailand Club said...

sorry u have been to the Suk. 20 branch, same this one

i like the sea bass grilled with rock salt, not fishy (as clear water fish is quite fishy) at all

its shrimp is always big and market fresh

:)

Anonymous said...

Yes this was the Reataurant "Big Sister Or). I remember the grilled Sea Bass with the rock salt tastes so good and no fishy smell. Even Chris will eat it. If Chris will eat that fish, it must be good and fresh with no fish smell. Just like the big Pomfret we ate on the way to our surprised trip to Hua Hin. So meaty, tasty and fresh with no fishy smell.
From,
Party Animal

Stella said...

Yes this was the Restaurant "Big Sister Or". I remember the grilled Sea Bass with the rock salt tastes so good and no fishy smell. Even Chris will eat it. If Chris will eat that fish, it must be good and fresh with no fish smell. Just like the big Pomfret we ate on the way to our surprised trip to Hua Hin. So meaty, tasty and fresh with no fishy smell.
From,
Party Animal

Mike said...

How much is that shark fins soup cost?

Stella said...

Mike,
I guess the shark fin soup costs $30 US.
By the way, your comment section did not work today. And this one(In-the-Sea)is normal.
I am using Firefox.

in the sea said...

Sorry sorry... I haven't been able to reach any blog for the past 5 days during my stay at Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) of Vietnam. I asked the locals and they told me the Gov't still has censorship on certain internet websites and personal blogs.

About the Shark's fin soup, it's B500 (US$15). I think they do an excellent job on the seabass.

Stella said...

$15 US for the shark fin soup at Big Sister Or is kind of cheap as the food quality is good there.

Anonymous said...

har Viet also censor food blogs! maybe they don't like food!

/TC

in the sea said...

The Gov't control all the personal blogs, regardless of the content of the blog.