Sunday, September 19, 2010

Travel Alert - final confrontation at the front desk, Peninsula BKK

After such a horrible breakfast, I went to the front desk, asking to see their manager. The receptionist then asked if they could help first. I replied "you wouldn't know how to handle my complaint. I really need to talk to your manager.". So a front desk manager showed up. In brief, I brought up the "no no no" problems in the room. He replied "our hotel puts our services when the guests call for. If you would like to have a electric kettle and tea/coffee, we would come to your room for providing such to you". I replied: "Last night I called for tooth brush and then cotton buds and so on. Never ending. Don't you know it's very frustrating to sit by the phone and keep calling for this and that. Put yourself as the guest and do you feel comfortable for keeping calling for some basic room amenities! I'm not talking about some 5 star hotel facilities. What I told you is some basic standard hotel stuff.". I further "this morning your restaurant was so packed with people in 2 long lines. After we sat down, we were asked to put on a jacket and reminded about a dress code. We were in an open area and it's hot and humid. Wouldn't it be ridiculous? First, they shouldn't do that after we sat down. They should remind us before we get in the restaurant. Second, people waiting in long line and you ask for a dress code! I saw some people holding a plate and eating while they waited. So the dress code is more important than letting your guests suffer and most of all they have kids. Wouldn't it be too cruel to let the kids starve.". Then that manager claimed on the rainy season. I stopped him "Bangkok is rainy most of the time and it's not just rainy today. You need to make it flexible.". Then he said "I would relay that to our F&B manager". I further "no, you don't get my point clearly. Let me tell you that my friend already warned me about the long line in the breakfast a month ago. So it means this issue has been here for over a month at least. No improvement was made. This is very ridiculous! I heard some other guests complaining about it. Doesn't any of you just care about your own job? Do you really want to just see your hotel services declining? Do you feel contented with a job like this? Meanwhile, I also needed to take my liabilities because I made my mistake. I didn't listen to my friend. I got rebellious to come here for a stay. It's because I trust the brand name Peninsula since I have been to other Peninsula hotels. Now your hotel really ruins my past impression....".

1. When I returned to the room, they served these. As you can see, this is not a common hotel type kettle. That means they don't have this kind of services. What's more, the lipton tea bags are from those economic size package. No need to mention about the Nescafe. A 3-4 star hotel would have at least 3 basic tea bags - Chinese jasmine tea, Japanese green tea and ceylon tea. The standard 4-5 star should have at least Twinning's Earl Grey, Camomile, English Breakfast and Mint. By now, no need to say further on some other more refined hotels. 2. Even when they refilled, only 1 set was given.

3. Oh, this reminds me of Air France. They have some already-printed apology card. That means apology to them is a daily routine thing. 4. They put some chocolate but I am going to return them since I already got frustrated. Nothing would help to recover me from such a frustration. The Chinese saying "even the dragon meat is tasteless.".

5 comments:

pixmation said...

That's very strange for a 5 star hotel to serve Lipton tea bags.

Mickey Mouse said...

Lipton? r they kidding?

in the sea said...

That's why I listed the examples of some standard tea bags which should be served in 3-4 or 4-5 star hotels. What's more, they serve the lowest quality of Lipton tea bags. Mr. Mouse, remember I told you even the Sukhumvit soi 25 guest house is better than this one. No exaggeration. BTW, I didn't sleep well for the past 2 nights. My eyes are bloody red now.

Stella said...

It seems like even AG is better than this one over all.
Cannot believe the quality is so different from Peninsula HK.

in the sea said...

Well, I can understand most of you would comment "oh, this hotel is worse than this or that.". Please don't discriminate the other hotels. This Peninsula is not even claimed as a hotel. They lack what a hotel fundamentally has and basically provide to the guests.