Wednesday, February 16, 2011

6x6 film format - Yashica mat 124G classic camera

At the courtesy of Pixmation, he sent me this photo of his new toy - a Yashica classic camera, unused for 25 years. After some chat with Pixmation, I gotta know why some people are lingered with this type of camera. It's a larger format of film used 120 format or 6x6 (or 56cm x 56cm). As it's in a larger format, the DOF (depth of field 景深) is quite different from the 35mm film. The upper lens is for the viewfinder and the lower one for photo taking. (*Pixmation, please correct me). May I share the photos taken by Pixmation on this camera:


8 comments:

Mickey Mouse said...

wow very classic camera and remind me that i am still very young .. :-)

pixmation said...

You are correct about the upper and lower lenses, the design is called Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) camera.

I have scanned and uploaded more test photos taken with this camera. I am liking the square format.

Yashica Set

pixmation said...

It's roughly called 6x6 (6cmx6cm) but I think it's actually 56mmx56mm.

pixmation said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
in the sea said...

Yes, seeing this making us feel younger. Going back in time. That's why I just posted something nostalgic too.

Pixmation, you are getting "Leica" :) as that's what Leica often suggested on a square format, or not less than 3/4 since it's the best for the lens reflection.

BTW, Pixmation's one portrait photo got elected as a sample photo for 50mm F1.8 lens on Adorama

http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/Portrait-Lenses-Weve-Fallen-in-Love-With

pixmation said...

This is the photo.

Portrait

in the sea said...

Thanks for the link to view Elaine's photo. Pixmation, I like this photo of yours. Feels like you are getting dizzy from the spin.

pixmation said...

I have added more photos to the set taken with the Yashica. Also discover this Fluidr.com site that makes viewing photos from Flickr much easier.

More Yashica Photos