Monday, February 14, 2011

Jumbo Seafood Floating Restaurant 珍寶海鮮舫, Deep Bay, Aberdeen, Southern HK

When I was a kid I was brought to this kind of floating restaurant, it wasn't a nice experience to me. Seafood smelled with kerosine (火水) since the sea water filling the fish tank is just from water area surrounding the boat. I often heard my grand ma and aunts claiming going to those floating restaurants are not good with "kerosine seafood".
As time goes by, things have been improved. However, my image about floating restaurants was just for tourists. The last time I was here was to bring some overseas business clients in the mid and late 90's.
Until recently my sisters told me this restaurant surprised them on their dim sum, I decided to give it a try on their recommendation. It turned out it's really something. Very nice shrimp dumpling and fried rice too. Besides, it's not that expensive. It's about HK$100 per person for the below food (very full), in considering it's a floating restaurant.





















14 comments:

Mickey Mouse said...

i thought u go to visit uncle 9 to cut the cake .. hahaha

in the sea said...

Pls excuse for my ignorance on some names for certain celebrities. Is uncle 9 Stanley Ho?

Mickey Mouse said...

oh this person and his 4 mistresses r hot these days; yes u got it!

in the sea said...

I see. I am enjoying what I have now each day. Good friends, good family, good colleagues, good air, good water, good rice, good bread, good sunshine, good rain and good sky. There are some other worlds we don't quite understand. Please don't ever try to understand. Enjoy our air, water and food. :)

Mickey Mouse said...

well without them there is no monkey show to watch, it is entertaining, pity don't they know! btw i know two of them back to my Cat Street days, spoiled and greedy

in the sea said...

Wow.. Cat street? Long time no hear. Now it's Cheung Kong Bldg. It's natural for them to be like that, given they were raised up in such a big family with background like that.

pixmation said...

The coffee shop Cat Street in Central?

I guess the tourists keep this restaurant in business all these years.

Stella said...

I miss the Jumbo Seafood Floating Restaurant.
Good food and good price for $12 US per person only, especially this is a tourist spot.

in the sea said...

Pixmation, it's gone with the pulling down of the old Hilton. Actually I don't like Cat Street at all. People often stared at the others from head to toes of what they put on. Those people should be hired by Heathrow Airport as "human scanner". :)

Mickey Mouse said...

like it or not, same same the Chatter Box in SG Mandarin Hotel, Cat Street was very famous for its Hainanese chicken rice in the 70's & 80's, oops just my father told me, i am one of the "after-80's 八十後" .. hehe :-)

Stella said...

Yes I am one of the "after 90s"...

in the sea said...

Personally I prefer Hyatt Regency SG's Hainanese chicken rice to that non-MO's group Mandarin's Chatter Box (gotta specific that Mandarin isn't on the MO chain), on hotel level of Chicken rice. :)

Lawrence Spring said...

It's funny how we can just spread the good word about food by creating an article and putting it online. As a seafood lover this is a great haven! Those soft steamed shrimp dumplings just made me want to savor it in my mouth. Yummy!

Kevin Beamer said...

Nice piece of writing! The photos helped a lot, but talking about the restaurant, atmosphere, and the price makes this a pleasurable reading! If only there was a more accessible counterpart close by!