Friday, June 11, 2010

Crystal Jade noodle and dumpling shop, Tai Yau Center, Wanchai, HK 翡翠拉麵小籠包店 大有商場

Among all the outlets of Crystal Jade in HK, this one seems to be more outstanding. So when I leave the office late, I will go check if there is a queue.

1. Black fungus in aged black vinegar HK$38. Not bad but the celery is a bit old as you can see. 2. Drunken eggs HK$28. When I checked on the recommendation card on the table, there I saw something catching my eyes. Texture-wise, it's like those Japanese "hot spring" eggs (cooked to 80% done). The wine sauce is pretty good.

3. Veggie rolls HK$58. Light and refreshing but crispy on the outside. Good as a summer dish. 4. the steamed dumpling on the left top HK$28. The filling is very nice but some may find the wrap a bit thick (I prefer thicker wrap actually).
5. black sesame sticky rice dumplings in ginger soup HK$28. It may be the strongest ginger soup I have ever tried. So strong that I think it's a bit too much. Anyway, our Angel would love this one. She is a "spice" girl. 6. my must sweet - mini dumplings in wine rice sweet HK$22. At average.
7. the shop.


6 comments:

Thailand Club said...

menu between CJ-HK and CJ-BK r quite different

now the Erawan Plaza reopen, i shall go to eat eat the lovely Shanghaiese wonton

Stella said...

Jade Crystal overall are all good to me.
I also like the Jade Crystal dumpling in BKK.
Mini sweet Mochi in wine soup is my no #1 favorite. Also sesame Mochi dessert too but only in plain hot water instead of ginger soup.
Plain water will bring out the flavor of the sesame mochi dumpling more. If with ginger soup the taste is too strong. Sometimes the ginger covers the sesame mochi taste.

in the sea said...

Some of the basic stuff are quite similar but the one of HK offers a little bit more. I guess it's probably the Crystal Jade restaurant hasn't yet been here. So this noodle/dumpling outlet needs to act in between for more variety of food. I guess.

BTW, share with you how to make the dumplings more chewy. I learned it from the Taiwanese QQ dumplings. They would put 3x1 cups of cold water to make the chewy (QQ) texture of dumplings.
After you put the dumplings in the boiling water. When it boils again, put 1 cup of cold water. Then let it boils again, another cup of cold water. Then last step in the same way. So by then the dumplings are done but the wrap is chewy. :) I tried that several times and it really makes a difference.

Thailand Club said...

i used this method to boil Shanghaiese wonton at home too :-)

Stella said...

Thank you for the cooking lesson of q dumplings and wonton.

in the sea said...

Yes, it's a very good method to cook dumplings. :)