Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Chiu Chow Garden 潮庭, Hutchison's House, Central, HK

Chiu Chow Garden (same English name of Chiu Kong Chuen), has been on the 3rd floor of Hutchison's House for quite some years, one floor up of my favourite Shanghai Garden (posted about the hot burnt pig's knuckle earlier). In general this one is much better than Chiu Kong Chuen and I am not sure it will replace Chiu Kong Chuen gradually. At least one more branch in Taikooshing is replacing Chiu Kong Chuen.

1. Kung Fu tea. Smells good but strong enough to get you awake for hours. 2. Nice table ware.

3. the shop inside. 4. crushed cucumber 拍青瓜 HK$38. The sauce is nice but the cucumber wasn't crushed with subtle crushing force with Chinese chopper knife. This crushing is important as the cucumber should be crushed with small cracks to absorb the sauce immediately instead of marinating. This way you would taste the fresh cucumber with nice chill soy sauce/sesame oil/vinegar mix.

5. Finally I found one proper goose meat slices (HK$108). Nice "Lo Shui (soaking sauce)". Goose meat tender and juicy. This reminded me of the old time of Chiu Kong Chuen. 6. Chilled sea cucumber in wasabi dressing HK$58. I like it as it's very wasabi, and matching the green flavour of celery. Good to chill off in hot summer time.

7. Deep fried crab meat patties (HK$98). See how dry on the outside. This is a nice deep frying technique with good oil. Very juicy inside. Must try. 8. Stir fried Kai Lan with "big earth" fish chunks HK$68. See only the selected parts of the middle stem of Kai Lan and they are evenly cut in adjacent angle.

9. Mini steamed bean paste dumpling HK$22. Chewy but not hard. Filling is very smooth. 10. Almond "tea" with egg white HK$28. Freshly ground almond with nice egg white (not overcooked at all. very silky smooth).

8 comments:

Paranoid Android said...

Gosh... This is exactly the mind of nostalgic food that I cannot find in Malaysia. At least not properly executed in one restaurant.

I gave up looking for beautiful almond tea in KL too.

in the sea said...

Android, next time if you are in HK, besides this shop, you can try Full Moon Dessert (Food court of Citisuper, basement of Times Square, or the other one on the 2nd or 3rd floor of Harbour City). Full Moon serves some pretty nice almond tea. Tang Dynasty on Canton Road is also good at this one.

Stella said...

It is too lucky being able to live in HK.
Hi SEA,
Lily Mo chef asked me to ask you do you have a feast everyday with lots of people?(As she saw so many dishes every meal.)
I told her yes. You have a food tasting party everyday as you have a Mr. Susie Wong team.

in the sea said...

Hi Lily Mo chef, due to my business friends getting affected by me, I often go out with them for lunches. Some of them are casual friends and some serious that I would respect not taking photos of each dish. Just like the Celestial Court 天寶閣 of Sheraton and Zen 彩碟軒 of Pacific Place lately, I couldn't take photos. That's why I made the photo-free comments on Kuo Fook Lau.

If I don't eat out at lunch, lately I just go to a very local bread shop for some wheat bread and piggy bun. So the main courses are raisin and unroasted almond plus an apple or orange. No meat at all. :)

Stella said...

Thank you SEA for the thorough explanation.
Yes Lily Mo Chef, Mr. SEA does not eat a feast everyday, only 29 days out of a month.

in the sea said...

Yes, 29 days is for the month of Feb. :)

Stella said...

Oh my God, you really make me and Lily Mo Chef envy. Now Lily Mo wants to move back to HK instead of LA.

in the sea said...

Pros are wide variety of food and shopping. Cons is the living environment.