Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Yeoh's Bah Kut Teh 楊氏肉骨茶 Queen's Rd. Sheung Wan, HK

Spare rib soup with Chinese herb (Bah Kut Teh) was once quite popular in HK but now left only a few shops. I guess it's because the HK Chinese consider taking this Chinese "hot" soup would make the body a bit too hot, as some herbs like 黨參當歸 are used. However, for those who understand more the Chinese herbs, they should know this soup with much background story of the tough working overseas Chinese on how they put to make this soup. There are some balancing herb like 生地熟地 to cool off and nourish your body. Together with pork to go with spare ribs, the pork will balance the "hot" character of spare ribs. So this soup if with the appropriate mix of the correct herbs and ingredients, shouldn't be of any problem.

1/2. When I sat down, I already felt like I'm in Malaysia's certain local shops by checking the this stand for spoons/chopsticks and this bowl for rinsing. As when I almost finished the meal, I found myself even further being like in Malaysia from listening some Malay Chinese speaking as "千差,無相干..". I need to clarify for the local Malay Chinese that they don't speak like Lo Kar Leung in that TVB drama shooting in Sabah. Malay Chinese don't speak like mainland Chinese by distorting the Cantonese words in upper sound. It's the word they use rather than the accent.

3. the combination of bah kut teh. See they use not just spare ribs but also pork. I already gave 2 extra points on this. 4. Chicken rice HK$35 for a set. Amazing that the chicken was done in the original hot/cold water cooking but too bad the chicken is a fridge one. Why I can tell it's the hot/cold water boiling. It's the juicy meat and tender texture. Steaming can't be like this. Besides, this hot/cold water boiling can make the chicken skin quite bouncy and smooth. Anyway, can't complain they don't use a freshly killed one because it's just $35 for a set.

5. chilled black fungus HK$22. Well, the look is not that tempting but the texture and it's very chilled. The chef served some soy sauce with wasabi. Didn't expect this Japanese style eating is that good. Besides, a bed of ice was put underneath to make sure it's icy chilled. 6. Wow... boiling hot hot boiling bah kut teh. Besides 黨參, I smelled 生地. The soup is in a nice mix and not too overwhelming. The spare ribs were done well but not too mashy nor too chewy. You know what. I ordered a second bowl! To go more local, I took it with steamed rice. This is the way the hard working overseas Chinese take their breakfast and this soup gives them a day of energy to work and work.
7. Hokien noodle 福建炒麵 HK$38. Another unexpected local stir fried noodle. See even the plate is very Malay Chinese food style. What even amazed me it's 100% local Malay taste because they use some sweet thick soy sauce 甜珠油 (not easy to find in HK) to stir fry it. The look may not be nice but the taste is. Some fish patty slices are used. 8. The surprise never stops. When I saw salty plum lime juice 青檸話梅水(HK$15), I wondered but then ordered anyway out of my curiosity. All I can say this drink remind me of our childhood. My friend ordered a longan juice (sorry didn't take photo as that drink was bottom's up in a minute), but he also said it's like a drink in childhood. So $15 gets you back suspended to a child. Big saving against those rejuvenation programs.
9. As when I was leaving, the shop was already filled with many local Malay Chinese. Home coming for them. BTW, this shop didn't post any Eastern Magazine or Drink Man/Woman magazine or those aditorial postings, except it's listed as one of the 150 shops Choy Lan visited. No need. Word of mouth is the best tool. At last the shop is claimed from Klang 巴生 (the port for KL) of Malaysia.

4 comments:

Thailand Club said...

wow HK has such an authentic Malay-Chinese restaurant, i really miss the Hokien fried noodle, and bah-kut-teh (i like those in Ipoh and Penang); why Bangkok just couldn't hv one? (had many but all got kicked home, because mai aroi ma)

Stella said...

You made me feel I am back to S'Pore or Malaysia.
I miss the spare rib herb soup and the authentic Hainan Chicken Rice in S'Pore. Also the "IPoh Hall Fun".
Yes, BKK shall have this kind of Malay-S'Pore food.
BTW, we started to have this in LA now.

Paranoid Android said...

How quaint... Hokkien food in HK. Maybe the Singaporeans will flock there too.

in the sea said...

I'm quite surprised with this shop as from the look and the dish presentation, I really doubted. No try no gain. In fact, in Singapore and Malaysia the bah kut teh varies a lot.