Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Feast, the East, Tai koo shing, Hong Kong

Out of curiosity again, I went in the cafe of The East (hotel) and my eyes got caught up with a spectacular array of cold dishes. The waiter told me they offer the antipasti and dessert on buffet and a main course chosen from the menu at HK$340 (for weekend) with a 20% discount on DBS card.

1. Very fresh oysters and you can pick them on the plate and let the attendant open them for you. 100% guaranteed fresh. Tips - pick up those with a rounder and thicker body and avoid those with a slightly open shell. 2. I love the way they have the various authentic dressing and the veggie are very selected.

3/4. So eye catching! Note all these dishes are pretty European. Please don't expect a BBQ pork noodle or sweet and sour pork.

5/6. more to go. Note: they use cantaloupe, not the common rock melon.

7. Lovely cold cut including some very melty and aromatic parma ham. Check on the left bottom. These are imported organic cherry tomatoes. Very tomato and dense and thick in texture. Very different from the ordinary cherry tomatoes. 8. Sweet section.

9. more cakes. 10. I found my gazpacho again. Yummy and this one is a bit zesty with a light touch of olive oil.

11. see my harvest! Very rich and fat ones. I took one dozen and my friend took 1.5 dozens. So remember my tips for picking the oysters. 12. bread is so good!

13/14. I cleaned the plates. BTW, the beet root salad (a bit top right) and artichoke (mid. bottom) are awesome!

15. more tomatoes and veggie. 16. The couscous (top mid. left) is surprisingly good.

17. Pan seared seabass on a bed of beans and beat root. yummy! 18. Charcoal grilled rib eye steak. Though I was quite full, I finished this big cut of rib eye steak. What's more, the french fried is very good. Some very new potatoes were used. Very potato aroma.

19. iced decaf. coffee. 20. dessert time. Again the cakes are not too sweet. I like the dark choco. cookie (on the right bottom). It's actually 30% sweet as compared to a common cookie's sweet. It's very risky if the dark choco. is not of a good quality when the sugar is not much to cover up.

21. Cup cake. 22. more to go.

6 comments:

Thailand Club said...

wow pick-ur-own oysters bar and antipasti buffet, no need to add main course already can feed me well ..

lucky now not far from home u can find a good feast

Anonymous said...

$50 US for this buffet is well worth it.
The oyster looks so fresh and fat. Oyster is my favorite but I cannot eat raw one though.

SS

in the sea said...

Just eating a dozen of oysters is already worth it. I think if they charge for HK$280 for antipasti/dessert, I would definitely choose it. :)

Thailand Club said...

wow HK$280 for antipasti and desserts only, no mains, that's all i want, what a dream!

in the sea said...

I think I'll go ask them if they can do it. No harm to ask. :)

Stella said...

Yes SEA,
No harm to ask. No harm to try. At least the chance jumps up from 0% to 50%. Just like how you got us the make-believe $222 "Wood Room"(maybe)
:)