Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Khao Mun Gai - Watergate (Pratunam), Bangkok

I recall that night I flew with our Angel in October of 1997. Since her daughter is an airline staff, we got a very bargain rate at Pathumwan Princess hotel (at THB1,000 - normal rate is THB2,000 back then but now got so crazy at THB4,200). Pathumwan Princess was a very new hotel of just a few months old. A local Thai colleague with Angel's daughter brought us to this chicken rice shop by tuk tuk. There we started our journey of "in search of chicken rice" in Bangkok. Every now and then when I passed by this shop, I would think of the first time I visited it.

1. the soup is not bad. The sauce is a bit sweet and with a dark soy sauce aroma. Of course, it's very hot. 2. Chicken rice still sold at THB30. Rice cooked at a good texture. Chicken is quite tender.
3. The shop is very busy at all times.

5 comments:

Mickey Mouse said...

the pink shirt khao-mun-gai Prathunam is one of my most favorite Thai-CN Hainanese chicken rice joints in Bangkok ..

Stella said...

I think the Angel mentioned this place to me too.
Cheap but good.

in the sea said...

The good thing about this shop is that they keep the chicken and rice in a very high flow and you can get very freshly cooked rice and chicken. Unlike some other shops, they may put the rice in a plastic bucket for hours.

Thailand Club said...

other shops they even hang the chicken for a whole day :(

Stella said...

Fresh food is good food.