Saturday, July 24, 2010

Shanghai Xiao Nan Guo, 上海小南國, Causeway Bay, HK

Originally I planned to go to Wu Jiang 滬江 (my most favourite Shanghai cuisine restaurant) but when I saw the long line, I then changed to this one. It turned out this one is not as good as their chain outlet in Beijing though the dishes are 80% the same.

1. the shop inside. 2. Preserved veggie bean curd rolls. HK$48. Average.

3. drunken chicken. HK$68 Also at average. 4. Stir fried beef filet. HK$108. It's a derivative version of the pan fried string beans but with beef filet. I find it a bit over-priced.

5. Tan tan noodle. HK$48. Below average. Should have been more peanut aromatic and spicy. 6. Steamed dumpling. HK$58. Average.

7. Siu Lon Bao HK$40. This one is pretty nice. 8. Pan fried pork buns HK$28. Above average. So it turned out this shop is good at the last 2 dishes.
9. Still this shop is crowded. That told the consumers' power is pretty strong in HK.

6 comments:

Paranoid Android said...

Ooooh! When I see the tan tan noodles, I still remember you suggested that I go to the Dragon-i outlet in Mid Valley, KL. I am still going there now, when I feel a hankering for some of these peanut spicy noodles.

in the sea said...

Oh, I miss Dragon-I. Their freshly hand made noodle plus their aromatic soup base is very Sichuan style. At least it's very close to those I tried in Cheng Du. yummy! I like noodle shop which have their noodle freshly made to the order.

Mickey Mouse said...

wow my dear lady friend (who ate with me at Benjarong last month, and left me the BIG dining voucher) will be very happy to know Sea is a fan of Wu Jiang, as the chain is belong to her husband :-)

in the sea said...

Good to know that. I used to go to Wu Jiang at the basement of Empire hotel very often since that one is less crowded. Too bad they closed that one a few years ago. Their drunken chicken, stir fried egg white (賽螃蟹) and smoked fish (燻魚) are so good.

Stella said...

The Tan Tan noodle looks very oily.
Yes the HK consumer spending power is very strong.
Yes, the racing crab and smoked fish are my favorite Shanghai dish.

in the sea said...

Racing crab? Haha. What a name. I got told by my Taiwanese friends that the first 2 words mean veggie. That mean it's not real crab.