Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Kudo's, Crowne Plaza, Causeway Bay, HK

Crowne Plaza finally landed HK and situated on Leighton Road, close to the entrance to Happy Valley. The buffet price was once over HK$400 and I had to skip it to Blue Bar, Clipper Lounge or Hyatt Regency cafe...etc. Lately it cut down its price to around HK$260. Naturally we would think the food quality would drop to this level, but....

1/2. the deco. is quite classic hotel style.

3. Check the middle - scallop sashimi. It's an imported one - very fresh and tender. Sushi not bad and at least not dried out. All the food are served in small portion but they will be re-filled frequently. This is something most restaurants wouldn't care. When food is being open in the air for over 20 minutes, it wouldn't be the same. 4. They serve live oysters on your order. Wow... amazingly fresh! Crunchy, bouncy, juicy. Very clever to serve on order. This way they would avoid the hygiene issue.

5. Salami pretty good. Fruit salad and bean salad are good too. The crab legs are a bit salty but with more lemon juice, it's still pretty good. 6. Well, though the abalone (in the middle) are not that big, having steamed abalone in buffet is quite luxury. It's not chewy at all. On the top left is stir fried scallop. Super good and fresh! On the right is the Indonesia highlights of the buffet theme this week. Personally I don't like them much.

7. very nice slow roasted prime rib, as good as those served in Clipper Lounge. Tender, juicy and aromatic. 8. Fresh green salad. I am quite impressed with the table serving 5-6 different style olive oil (some with herb and some with truffle...etc.) as well as another 5-6 vinegar dressing (some of 8 years old, some herb and some red/balsamic/fruity...etc.). Check the right. It's sun dried tomato in olive oil. Very fresh and sweet and not usual for me to find at buffet. Well, the contrast is the roasted pork on the top. Super crispy skin and not fat at all but so juicy inside. Tai Hing needs to come here and see what roasted pork (and it's my 2nd round)!
9. My friend told me the "raw" noodle is as good as those by Ho Hung Kee. I agreed! Though I am 80% full, I took it all. So good. 10. the Chef recommended me to try this freshly made US clams in white wine stock. Wow.. so juicy and sweet and the white wine stock is excellent! I even drank the stock left.
11. The food quality is really in line. The dessert continued to surprise me. It's mixed berry in fruity wine light syrup. So good that I took 2 of it. 12. iced coffee is very aromatic.

13. more interesting dessert. Right bottom is pandan creme brulee. I don't like pandan; so no comment. Right top is bird's nest on grape jello. I took 2 too. Top left is pineapple custard. Very nice milk flavour from the custard. All the dessert here is not too sweet. Left bottom is tangerine jello. Pretty zesty! 14. Deep fried banana in vanilla sauce. A bit oily though. Vanilla sauce is nice.

15. About 10-12 different varieties of Movenpick ice cream/sorbets are available. However, I don't like Movenpick. 16. Warm chocolate cake, browne, hazelnut cookie. Pretty nice too.

12 comments:

Thailand Club said...

in our old days the buffet at Holidays Inn TST already a very hot topic :-) so this hotel group really knows how to serve buffet ..

in the sea said...

Yep, in the old time Holiday Inn was the hot topic. Now Inter-Continental joined too. With this middle one -Crowne Plaza, what a world of buffet. The other important point is that they cut the prices sharply to attract customers to get the word-of-mouth instead of going on massive ads. I'll go for a 2nd try by the time they push back to the original price.

Paranoid Android said...

Oh la la... What a wonderful spread. I must take note of this place. and try to visit it during my next trip.

Thailand Club said...

wow, steamed abalone, cherry stone clams and Clipper's quality roasted prime rib in this buffet for just HK$260? i know why it was around HK$400, as it worth it!

Stella said...

This buffet is really worth over $60 US if it were in LA for the same quality.
So it is still worth to eat in HK.
I only had Holiday Inn type of buffet in HK at my old days.

in the sea said...

Android, this special price is only valid until 31st Aug. this year. I'll go try it for 2 more times to make sure of the consistent quality. :)

I like the way they serve all the food in small portion so as to keep up the quality.

The last time I tried Holiday Inn Nathan Road was still good (5 years ago). In fact, there were a few times we tried Cafe G of Holiday Inn Bangkok. It turned out not bad. Like TC said, the Inter-Continental/Holiday Inn Group do know how to run buffet and keep the standard.

in the sea said...

BTW, I forgot telling you that they serve a lemon chunk with the live oyster. Very good to let people taste the freshness of oyster without the cover-up of cocktail sauce.

Thailand Club said...

don't know since when and who invent to eat fresh oyster with heavy-taste cocktail sauce! spoil the natural flavor of this lovely shellfish

Stella said...

The cocktail sauce is to cover up the smell of oyster in case it is not fresh.
In fact, I like that cocktail sauce, it goes well with the oyster or the shrimp.

in the sea said...

Now I eat sashimi with wasabi and some salt. oyster with lemon juice or vinegar and one drop of tabasco. Same for other cold seafood in this kind of combination.

Paranoid Android said...

Oh Sky, Sky... You are making me so hungry. I have just finished a long day at work and am so hungry. LOL. I love the dressings light too... Nom nom nom. My stomach is growling no.

Thailand Club said...

yeh don't know since when ppl soak the nice fresh piece of sashimi in soy sauce, spoil all the taste