Saturday, December 11, 2010

New toy testing - Canon 17-40mm F4 lens

Yesterday I hesitated to get my dream Canon L lens (so-called red ring lens - a premium lens with very low dispersion glass). Finally at lunch time, I got one 70-200mm F4. Then at dinner time, I got one 17-40mm F4. When I looked at those people spending over HK$5-6,000 for an iPhone and even waited in long line, I told myself "now it's iPhone 4 and I already saved at least 2 times of iPhone buying, and I also saved my life of risk. So in celebration the fact that I saved this money, I made use of it to buy 2 lens and I even got some changes to get some professional filter lens.

The below photos were taken at the range of F4-F5.6 at 1/20 to 1/40 at ISO from 800-1,600, with post-production of Lightroom to fill light and the lens alignment. The last feature is good to adjust some lens distortion like this kind of wide angle lens. I am surprised with the color separation of this lens and I guess it's attributed to the low dispersion glass used. I failed to take nice photos of MO HK lobby since it's very deep red, brown and dark with some velvet texture plus rusty metallic decorations, which would make the photo composition a bit vague and gloomy. So with the help of Lightroom, all these are nicely adjusted.

Below photo no. 4 is a new public pier like Queen's pier before on the right hand side of the new Star ferry pier. Further on it will link to the new harbour front promenade from Central to Wanchai. Should be a nice spot for photo taking in due course.





2 comments:

pixmation said...

Wow, these are very nice photos! The colors are so rich. Especially around Christmas time in Hong Kong, lots of fabulous skyscrapers with lights on.

I am wondering what's your process of uploading the photos to your blog. I downloaded the larger size photos for viewing and the EXIF info is missing.

I believe the Lightroom export to JPEG function will keep the EXIF info intact. Maybe blogspot stripped those embedded information.

in the sea said...

OK, just sent you those photos and you will see how much I fill the light and reduce some noise (esp. for those indoor photos).

I'm losing sleep due to the excitement of trying 1 lens first. Thinking about where to go for trying the other zoom lens. It's like a pupil getting excited to go on his school picnic trip the next day. :)

Now at Christmas time here, the 2 sides of harbour front are even more colorful.