Thursday, November 20, 2008

Honolulu, 27th February to 3rd March, 1991

In October, 1990, I got my first big lucky draw for winning an air ticket to Honolulu. My best friend accompanied me to the American Embassy in HK for trying the US travel visa. At that time, it was not easy to get a travel visa, especially for the young ones. Finally we got it and took on our first trip to Honolulu on 27th February, 1991. We both fell in love with Honolulu. Then in September, we went there again since our US visa is multiple entries. My friend took on his extension trip to Los Angeles for visiting his aunt. So that flight from Honolulu to Los Angeles turned out as a one way ticket. He then settled down in Los Angeles and now it's been 17 years. Seems like it's me who made this turning point for his life. One lucky draw could have turned out like this.

1. Took a day tour to go around the Oahu Island - the main island where Honolulu is. 2. Memorial place for the Pearl Harbour attack. Not sure if the first battleship sunk is called Arizona. That ship is beneath this memorial hall. I saw quite a number of American fellows (esp. some old people) cried in front of the names listed. What a point of twist of history and also many stories lied there!

3. A view from the Mountain side. 4. me at the waterwall park. Just noted that I already wore like that 17 years ago. When I first saw this kind of mid length pants, I fell into it, even up until now.

5. Well, I forgot if it's Sheraton but anyway it is a five star hotel behind Miramar. 6. Took a submarine tour and took this photo of Waikiki beach.

9 comments:

pixmation said...

lol, I still have those photos from that trip in an album somewhere. I don't think mine turn that much yellowish like yours.

Anonymous said...

So Mr. Pixmation must be your best friend you mentioned. Must be very interesting for the 2 young guys to explore this land of pearl in Pacific Ocean. Also very lucky of you. I wish I can go there but too far to go.

In the Sea, yes, that battle ship is called Arizona.

Man

Stella said...

Yes I like Hawaii for many reasons, its clear sky, its clean air, its unpolluted ocean, its weather, its relaxing feel, and especially the stores open late till 11 pm just like HK.
Hawaii has all the good things of LA and HK(except for the food part).
I am surprised your look and your figure do not change much after 17 years later, and you don't really age at all.

Anonymous said...

I think he has quite good metabolism. He took many delicious food but didn't get fat after 17 years.

in the sea said...

Pixmation, I don't know why those on my computer folder got yellowish. I then checked up the photos and it is still pretty good. BTW, my old Fuji (film roll) camera is pretty good. If any of you wanna buy a compact digital camera, get F100!

Thanks Man for confirming on Arizona. Yes, for 2 "young" guys, Honolulu is amazing. Pixmation is my friend that I feel responsible for getting him on a one way ticket. He still kept the Northwest return ticket from LA to HK but that was valid until 1992.

Stella, but I do find some nice food, esp. Japanese food. Mmmh.. I still remember that Ala Moana Shopping Mall. Mmmh.. I do look much older - just the photo is too yellowish and you wouldn't notice.

To Anonymous, I enjoy eating but I often take out the fat and greasy part of the food. Besides, working out regularly does help. I don't hire any maid but clean my apt. by myself. I often get asked about why I don't hire any maid. My answer is that I trust my hands rather than relying on someone's hands. My father told me I might be the strangest kid he has ever seen. I don't like someone helping to walk when I was a baby learning to walk. Then I don't like someone hugging me. A kid from outer space!

Stella said...

You are smart Sea. Why you need to pay for someone to exercise in your house? Unless you don't have time or you don't have energy to do it then it is ok to get a maid.
P.S. So you mean your maid only does the cooking for you but no cleaning right?(As when I read your cooking instruction I noticed you have a helper and a maid to do all the preparation for you.)

in the sea said...

Stella, that was in my sister's place that it would be impolite for me to ask the maid not to help and also that is quite insulting to the maid if I ask her not to touch anything for the meal. That's also why I told you I prefer preparing all the food by myself as I know exactly what I want. Also, sometimes if my friends come over to my place for BBQ, I can't turn them down for offering help in rinsing the food...etc. That's another thing for sharing the happy time of gathering.

Stella said...

Hi Sea,
I see. Thanks for the maid clarification.
You are right on your comments about letting the maid to help and letting your friend to help in the kitchen. You are a considerate and polite person. However, you don't need to worry this if I am your guest(as I will not volunteer to help in your kitchen). I am not a good cook in the first place. Also, I don't like to mess up the host's kitchen. One time my friend asked me to clean the lectuce for him before he made salad. So I cleaned it thoroughly and throw away 3/4 of the lectuce. He ended up going to the market again to buy more lectuce. And after that I was told "please don't help in the kitchen".

in the sea said...

I remember there was a time I came across someone threw away the stem of Choy Sum - almost threw away 3/4 of the Choy Sum. They thought only the leaves can be eaten. So you are not the only one who did with another veggie. Don't worry. Anyway, if I make my BBQ gathering, I would have prepared all the food before my friends came. Then this way, I can chat with them on cooking the food.