Thursday, November 06, 2008

SomTam soi 5, Siam Square, Bangkok

I certainly feel that I somehow pass by the various sois in Siam Square. These sois used to be where I checked out something interesting from food, accessories to fashion. So I was told that this SomTam soi 5 restaurant which is good at my favourite SomTam (papaya salad).

1. the shop on soi 5 of Siam Square. 2. Somtam with salty duck egg. The papaya is really fresh, probably because of the high flow of customers. It tastes quite nice.

3. Moo Yang (grilled pork) - pretty good and the sauce is quite nice though its very hot to me. 4. Mmmh... forge the name of this one. It's with some instant noodle and pork but very very hot...

5. Somtam Nua (not sure about the exact word) - it's with a sweeter taste but I don't like it much as it's very very hot. 6. coconut sorbet - quite refreshing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

somtam or papaya boc boc salad, this is in-the-sea most favorite food in thailand, sometimes i wonder if his last generation was an isaan prince

* issan = thailand northeastern provinces

Anonymous said...

In the Sea does look like Thai. Quite probably he might be a Thai in his last generation. :)

I like the 柚子 salad more than this one. Easier to eat. Those papaya slice is hard to chew.

Man

Stella said...

Yes I totally agree with you Man. I also like the "yiu g"(pomelo?)salad a lot. It tastes good and easy to chew. Papaya salad is hard to chew and no taste. We do have papaya salad here in LA but not the pomelo salad.

Thailand Club said...

i never like somtum even i live too long here, one reason coz somtum made from raw papaya, it is not good for my stomach, another reason coz green papaya has no taste, so heavy seasonings and chilies must be put, i don't like the fish sauce and spicy taste

Anonymous said...

Haha good name bor. Issan Prince. 仲好型. Mr. J also has Salong. really look like Thai guy. Long time no see this blog. Lots of new things.

Tim

in the sea said...

I couldn't be a real Issan native guy because I can't take those hot hot food. Besides, I start to take less salty food. The real Issan food is quite salty. Somehow I miss the somtam of the old Siam Center food court. Actually Somtam is quite a well-balanced nutrious food. Green papaya has lots of vitamins. Dried shrimp has calcium and other minerals. Peanuts has good vitamin E and protein..etc.

My local business friend gave me a local Thai name Chakraprong.... Was told it means some kind of heavenly officer. haha...