Saturday, November 29, 2008

Langkawi, Malaysia (1990)

It might be the most interesting trip I took by myself and since then I started enjoying going on trips by myself. It was February, 1990. Supposed I was planning a trip to Phuket but gave it up as my plan was ruined when I tried to make it in the fall of 1989. Then I changed to this mysteriously cursed (by a princess for some reason) island Langkawi (100 miles south east of Phuket on the border of Malaysia and Thailand). Probably I just treated it as Phuket psychologically. I did regret I cancelled my trip to Phuket with this one as now Phuket is much too commercial.

1/2.Pelangi Resort (told to be five star resort) and I think I paid around HK$8,800 for the MH flight plus 3 nights in Pelangi Resort in Langkawi, 3 nights in Shangrila Penang and 2 nights in KL Hilton.

3. the resort. 4. the beach is very close to the airport and it's quite muddy instead of sandy. Then I came to realise it's not so-called pearl powdered like it was described in the Malaysia Airline package brochure.

5/6. In general, the resort is pretty nice with lots of facilities and at night time there was some live jazz music.
7. the resort. 8. Actually Langkawi was still a fishing village rather than a tourist hot spot.

9. There are quite many small islands around Langkawi. 10. I think I walked for around 5-6 miles along this long beach from the hotel.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice place of Malaysia that has been neglected.
From,
The Party Animal

Anonymous said...

I think Malaysia needs to promote their tourism. They are really behind Thailand.

in the sea said...

There are lots of nice places in Malaysia yet to be discovered. The difference between Malaysia and Thailand is the creative and vibrant side of local culture. The beach, the mountain and the sea are the same, but people, culture, and the creativity...etc.

Anonymous said...

Although Malysia is not as good as BKK in many ways, I still like it a lot because Malaysia was the place I visited with my dear brother so many nice memories.
Also, I like the "Yee Po Rice Noodle", the "Law D"(Indian thin bread) and the "Ka Young"(coconut jam).
From,
Party Animal

in the sea said...

To be frank, I find some of the local food are not well adapted from the original Chinese food. In some way, the local Chinese or Malay have mis-used some of the ingredients like the way they make Ba-ku-teh. I still don't agree to the way they mixed all those stuff with Chinese herbs. How can the Chinese cabbage be put together with Chinese herb? Another Singaporean "interesting" food - barely cooked egg on toast with soy sauce, white pepper powder, jam... When I first looked at it, I held my breath to take it. I can't comment on it as it's a Singaporean food. I don't wanna get sued. :)

Anonymous said...

That is why Malaysian or S'pore food cannot be as popular as Thai food, Cantonese food, or Chinese food in general. Chinese food has more "wisdom" in the food mix and they always know how to balance the Ying and Yang.
From,
Party Animal

Anonymous said...

Suzie Wong also told that egg toast with soy sauce and jam. Must be very funny taste. What's wrong to make comments on Singapore food?

in the sea said...

There was a time when my business fellows make comments on a Singapore company and hopes they can improve. Later on they got a legal letter for defamation. Then my local Singaporean friends told me it had better avoid making comments on the Government or something representational of Singapore...etc.

I recalled Suzie Wong also comment on that toast but didn't say anything negative. She just quoted some word on the jam and soy sauce tasting together.

Unknown said...

I was there in 1992. Stayed in this hotel. Also stayed in another one (more basic) about 5 mins down the beach. Was a different time and place. Lots of memories. Thanks for posting these pics.