Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Kui Kee 鉅記 Won Ton shop, Jaffe Road, Wanchai


Passed by this won ton shop on Jaffe Road behind Luk Kwok Hotel Wanchai and got attracted by the aroma of the won ton soup. Then I gave it a try. The soup base is pretty nice as it has the 大地魚 (kind of a dried flat fish living at the sea bottom). However, the won ton was prepared some time ago and it's so so. What disappointed me further is the Choy Sum. You see the 2 little Choy Sum dices. Yes, I cut that out by myself. This vegetable is already 50% more expensive ($15 vs $10) to the other won ton shops, but they even did it as good as the other shops. Somehow I would be quick picky if the shop charges more than the others at the same level. That's why I was so demanding on East Ocean and Shang Palace (BKK).

7 comments:

Thailand Club said...

i hv heard that Kui Kee is quite famous, that's why they charge more?

shang palace never live up to top hk standard, cantonese feast prepare by non-hk native chef what can we get? but in bangkok choices r so limited, like old chinese said "in the army there is no real hero, Liu-fa became the front warrior"

honestly, crystal jade golden palace even better than shang palace and in some extend maybe better then china house

:)

poly said...

The noodle and soup are okay, but Choy Sum seems like the brushwood, no oil no gloss, i think take a coke is better.

poly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
in the sea said...

Har... Kui Kee is quite famous. If for soup base, they are pretty good. The Choy Sum's stem head is a bit rotten. That's why I didn't take it. Actually it's the habit from my aunt who often told me to take out those rotten part of vegetable. It's worse than a decayed fish.

Sorry about Shang Palace, but the preparation parts are good. Just the main Chef sucks. Their soup base is very nice, but the Chef totally destroyed such a nice soup with the Shanghai Siiu Tong Choy (or Ching Kang Choy called in Taiwan). Their black bean sauce is nice but the Chef used chicken slices and over-cooked that to lose the juice of the chicken meat. So it's a wrong cooking technique on all the nice ingredients. As for China House, actually they won on the creativity on the dishes we tried though the taste may not be the best. As for Crystal Jade, yes, it's even better than those in HK, KL and Singapore I have ever tried, though it's a bit too salty to me.

Anonymous said...

I can tell all of you are those lucky and spoiled gourmets who get to eat good food all the times.

in the sea said...

To Anonymous 4:09, I agreed that I am indeed spoiled and quite picky. Interesting when I was a kid, I wasn't that into eating, except the first time my uncle brought me to a BBQ pork rice. I told myself "wow how come in this world there is such a nice food.". That's why I like Zhoy Hing so much. It brought back that taste.

Anonymous said...

This one is quite good wor. 腩撈好正架.