Tuesday, December 08, 2009

麥奀記 Mak Um Kee Wonton Noodle Shop, Wellington Rd., Central, Hong Kong

After a long day of meetings in Central, my weary feet brought me for something hearty before the dinner. Mak Um Kee is still the best on my own chart, and their price is also the no. 1 - HK$28 for a mini-bowl of wonton noodle. In Chinese we call it "細蓉" which means it has only one handful of noodle with 3-4 wontons. It's just a very good size for a midnight supper or snack.

1. the price list and menu. 2. my long awaited wonton noodle soup. The noodle's texture is still the champion to me, so are the soup and wonton. So I don't find it expensive as long as they keep it at such a high standard. I can't find any flaw from it, except the soup is a bit salty to me but it's the real "nostalgic" taste and the balanced taste of pig's bones/ribs, dried shrimp roes and Da Dai Fish is perfect. It did cheer me a lot.

3. the open kitchen - I think Open kitchen has been widely practised for a long time but wouldn't be noticed until some western restaurants have this kind of open kitchen making it as a gimick and people find it attractive. 4. the shop on Wellington Street.

6 comments:

Thailand Club said...

wow, my favorite too

but now i cannot eat her al-dente noodle as my stomach is getting aging

:(

Stella said...

This restaurant has been mentioned in local magazine(East Weekly) here.
The noodle here looks like "Yu Yung Mean", my favorite.

in the sea said...

Actually their noodle is not that alkaline and this is the difficult part since they need to make the noodle daily. I noticed that there are other branches of this one but interesting only this shop in Central is the best. I tried the branch in Vancouver a long time ago but it's whole lot different.

Anonymous said...

if compare this wonton noodle and the Ching Dou. this one is original because the noodle should hold by a spoon, not in the soup. so the noodle is not soft. don't know why michilen say the other and give grade. they should study more chinese eating culture.

Stella said...

I think Michelin gave grade according to their own "Kwai Lo" taste.

in the sea said...

To Anonymous 2:33pm, thanks for remarking the noodle being put on a spoon to avoid getting soft. I even forgot this original style of wonton noodle. It's the classic way.