Friday, December 25, 2009

Yung He soybean shop, 永和豆漿大王, Taipei, Taiwan

In 1995 to 1997, Madam Fa, our Japanese friend and another friend from Hang Zhou had various trips to Taipei in search of the best soybean drink and rice dumpling. Though the locals often said the Xi Hai soybean shop in Yung He city is the best, we don't agree to it as that shop is in a massive production and made the rice dumplings in advance. So shops after shops, wasting after wasting food and time and money, I believe we have tried more than 100 shops in the whole Taipei city from all those trips. We still think this one on Fu Hsing S. Rd. section 2 between Shin Yi Rd. and He Ping E. Rd. is the best. So today I got to try it again and it's still the best to me.

1. the shop didn't deep fried the Chinese doughnuts a lot and just to the right amount for people to get the freshest deep fried crispy doughnuts. 2. iced chill soybean drink (TWD20, USD0.7) - so nice and so cool though this time they didn't have enough burnt bean aroma.

3. another view to the open kitchen. 4. my most favourite rice dumpling (TWD35, USD1.1). See how nice the rice was spread as a thin roll and easy to eat. Besides, the Chinese doughnut inside is very crispy, plus the Chinese pickled and the dried shred pork are perfect! No matter how full I am, this is always the one I can't leave even a rice. Must try!

5. Siu Lon Bao (TWD70, USD2.2). Though the wrap is not thin enough, the filling is very nice. At least it has the pork flavour, mind me to say it to compete with Din Tai Feng that the filling of Din Tai Feng is not that nicely aromatic with pork flavour. So if we replace the filling of Din Tai Feng's Siu Lon Bao with this one, it's perfect! However, I prefer thicker wrap of Siu Lon Bao as I like flour aroma; so this one is better for me. 6. the shop.

6 comments:

Thailand Club said...

Din Tai Feng is never of any good.

in the sea said...

There are now quite many shops making nice Siu Lon Bao, but the name of Din Tai Feng is still there due to the Times Magazine's award in 1984. Some people may not have an idea even how we have been through for the past 25 years.

Anonymous said...

I remember you tell me to try this one. yes, it's very nice. now almost 5 years I haven't went there. thanks for telling this shop.

Stella said...

We have "Wing Ho" here too. Their oat meal soy bean milk is gorgeous.

in the sea said...

SS, the brand "Wing Wo" seems not to be registered. Do you know the story why Wing Wo is related to soy bean drink? The original famous shop in Wing Wo (Yung He) city is called Xi Hai but just the shop is in Yung He City and people related the shop to Yung He.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.