Sunday, January 02, 2011

Otaru 小樽, Hokkaido, Japan

Otaru is about 30 minute train ride (express) from Sapporo. It's a very nice and quiet town on the south west coast of Hokkaido. This somehow reminded me of the movie "Contact" starring Jodie Foster - a scientist in contact with extra-terrestrial on a tele-pod to visit another civilization. Finally I got to see this coastal line and thrilled to see it be covered with a blanket of white.
1/2. Otaru train station.
3/4. The town.
5-7. This is a famous canal and attracts a lot of tourists.
8. A snow shower was approaching - see the mountain on the behind. Also there are some rickshaws for tourists.
9. the port.
10-12. Finally the snow arrived and I got to switch off my camera as it's not water proof.
13. See the ice.
14. Canal at 4pm in a break from the snow.
15. A place for photo taking.
16-17. Those warehouses are no longer warehouses. They are now either restaurants or shops.
18. at night. (remarks: couldn't take more photos due to snow and strong wind again. My camera was even shaken, though mounted on a tripod.).

















3 comments:

Stella said...

What s nice snow white New Year.
I can tell it is really chilly and windy.

in the sea said...

Yes, it's super in windy in Otaru since it's on the south west coast of Hokkaido. I think I have a bit cold burnt my throat. Now I know how hard it is to take photos in severe weather. So we really have to thank those brave reporters and photographers. It's good that when we have combat experiences, we would appreciate more those things we may not find it personally.

pixmation said...

MY favourites are #13, 14 and 17.