Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tribute to Madam Lee Tsang Pang Chin 李曾鵬展女士

Last time when I had a dinner with my sister, we ordered a stir fried baby spinach 豆苗. That dish came out very watery without any veggie flavour. All of a sudden, my sister complimented me "you did this much better. At least no water on the plate...". Didn't mean to "hard sell" my technique but the truth is "I forget I did this right since I haven't done it for a long long time.". I even forgot I killed a big live fish which is bigger than my arm's length. I killed a live quail too. So many things I forgot. Now I could just comment this or that, and be picky. Anyway, it's now the season for baby spinach and we can even find the junior baby spinach 豆杯.

There is a cooking genuine lady I need to thank her back in time. She is Madam Lee Tsang Pang Chin. I learned from her about quick stir-frying veggie. Anyway, I tried this lately and glad that I could still keep up with what she told. The fundamental points are:
-when rinsing the baby spinach, do it gently in the water by not squeezing the leaves.
-spinning the water out of the baby spinach. Better swing the veggie in your palm (like how the Japanese chef swing the noodle to drain the water).
-not to put the veggie tightly together. Better with some air among them.
-Let the veggie drain the water out by waving the drainer in various angle.
-Put the salt/sugar/wine on the veggie. Right away put the veggie on the wok with cool oil and hot burnt wok.
-Never use non-sticky wok. Better use a big round Chinese wok.
-After putting the veggie, don't press them and don't stir them. Toss them in the wok.
-When the veggie is semi-softened, cover the lid for about 30 seconds, or until some steam coming out.
-Put that on the plate immediately.
*practise this more until you don't find any much water left on the plate. Stir frying veggie quickly would seal the juice and vitamins of the veggie better. If it's too watery, the vitamin and minerals would be lost in the water.

15 comments:

Mickey Mouse said...

she retired in Vancouver, and live in heaven since few years ago, a good friend of Flora's mother

Stella said...

Salute to Madam Tsang's cooking class.
Also thank SEA for carrying this out and refreshing us now.

in the sea said...

Last month when i stopped by a book shop for trying to find some books by Madam Lee. Too bad I could only find the Madam sesame oil who can only use sesame oil only, even sesame oil in sweet & sour pork.

Glad that Flora's family is linked to my well respected Madam Lee. If I have time, I wanna write down some of the recipe she taught, such as 梅菜扣鷄髀, 回窩肉, 羊腩煲..etc. Well, I think nowadays not too many people would take the step of 白鑊 to prepare the lamb's brisket. Madam Lee also taught about using haw flakes 山楂餅 for sweet & sour pork. I did that and my father was very surprised with such a nostalgic taste. Not sure if Flora knows Madam Lee is now long-resting in Vancouver?

pixmation said...

I miss a dish of good baby spinach.

Anonymous said...

I will ask my mom next time about madam Lee's resting place. They are really good friends. I still remember her face and she liked to try in our house.

Flora

in the sea said...

Next time let me bring you to Kuen Fat in Shau Ki Wan. They made this one very nice. Or let me make one for you. :)

Thanks Flora for the note. Though I may not be able to do anything, just a thought of knowing where Madam is.

Anonymous said...

Will check on Saturday when I see my mom.

Flora

Stella said...

I just asked my mom yesterday about Madam Lee. My mother was told she has rested in peace in Vancouver too through another friend. My mom missed her a lot. Madam Lee is one of my mom's 2 best friends in HK. She was the 2nd daughter-in-law of the headmaster at Ling Nam U in China.

BTW, my mom said she is also good friend of Lee Tsang Chiu Kwan, once owner of Maria Bakery in HK and LA.

in the sea said...

Thanks for the note. It's good to think of her where she has been. Glad that Madam Lee is linked to someone I know. A small world. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes it is a very small world after all.......
Did not expect you know my mom's good friend Madam Lee since you are so young.
Also did not expect you know of Chef Lily Mo's sister.
Good to know that your friend is my friend and my friend is your friend.....

in the sea said...

I started to cook at home when I was a kid. Apart from what my aunts and grand ma told, I was curious to know more. Glad that I could learn something from Madam Lee. Salute to Madam Lee.

Anonymous said...

My mom is in fact surprised last Saturday when she heard that Madam Lee's fans is a young guy.

in the sea said...

Serious typo error "was" a young guy..

Stella said...

Let us treasure all the precious moments with our friends and family while we still can.
A special tribute to Madam Lee and also my beloved Madam Angel here for her anniversary. We miss you.

in the sea said...

Yes, we miss them. However, I would very much like for you to go on your own way. Go wherever you want. Feel more. Meet more.