Friday, June 06, 2008

Congee King, Wanchai, Hong Kong



Haven't been to this congee shop for almost 3 years after they moved from Li Tung Street (the street is to be redeveloped and it's famous for the greeting card shops) to Hart Street. I ordered the "pig's liver (黃沙豬潤) congee (the 1st photo), the pig's liver is pretty nice. According to my friend who is a fan for pig's liver, she said it should be soaked in salty water for letting the blood out so that it won't have any blood when eating and it will make the liver less soft. Personally I prefer the liver to be marinated with some wine and light soy sauce with some pepper. I don't mind the blood. Then the 2nd photo is the typical fried noodle with soy sauce. The shop claimed it didn't use msg, but I doubt it very much as the soy sauce they used does have msg. Then the last one is chicken congee. The 3rd photo is a critic written by someone from Grand Hyatt. So this Congee King was on the top 1. Sang Kee in Sheung Wan (now they have a branch shop in Quarry Bay - close on Sunday - ain't they cool) is on the 2nd. Ho Hung Kee behind the Lee's Theatre is on the 3rd. Lo Fu Kee in Central on 4th, leaving Chee Kee in Causeway Bay (now moved to Percival Street) as the 5th. So I found out all these 5 shops in one common point. All their congee base is that creamy one. If anyone of you remember in your childhood, congee should be with some broken rice in it that you can chew a little bit. I think nowadays the people tend to like the congee to so-called "creamy" 綿. So overall, this shop is ok but not a surprise to me. Anyway, I don't like congee much. So if I name my favourite congee, it should be the hot congee over raw fish slices in a shop in the market of Graham Street (the street opposite to the Center) in Central. That shop has the congee which I had in my childhood. It put a lot of fresh lettuce on the bottom of a big bowl, some parsley and scallion, then the raw fish slices (鯇魚片). Then the old man (about 70 years old) pour a boiling congee into the bowl. Then garnished with some fried peanuts (with skin!). When it was delivered to the table, the aroma is so good and tempting, especially in cold winter time! So the sweet taste of the fish slices melted into the congee and it won't be over-cooked, with a nice mix of parsley and scallion. What's more, the fresh lettuce on the bottom made the whole congee a clear fresh taste. However, there was a time my friend and I noticed the shop didn't wash the fish. So we stopped eating there. However, I recall my grandmom told me sometimes it's not too good to wash the fish, but with your knife to clean the fish's unnecessary things and dirt. That really requires your "knife skill". So I think in the coming winter time, I may go try it again.

9 comments:

Mike said...

this is the kind of congee i missed so much

in the sea said...

but the one at Landmark Hotel coffee shop seems to be a nice one.

Mike said...

yes, it is good, but, compare to Congee King, what do you say?

Stella said...

I am very satisfied with the one at Landmark Hotel, which is already better than all the congee I ate in LA.
Because of your "Congee King" photos here, we went to eat congee(with the fried Chinese donuts, also the fired noodle) today at lunch. And it was not even half as good as Landmark Hotel, let alone the Congee King.

in the sea said...

It's true - at least the pig's liver - it was really good. Landmark hotel cafe in general is quite good especially when you are hungry in the middle of the night. Sometimes it's quite hard to find the ingredients right in a foreign place. So we need to get adjusted a little bit. Just like there was one time I tried the som tum in a Thai fast food shop in Wanchai. The lady is a Thai, but when the stuff is imported into Hong Kong, like the lime, it is already not that fresh or distorted in flavour. So the outcome is so different.

Mike said...

good in the sea u didn't post some ice cream pictures, otherwise Stella (and Chris) has good excuse to eat only ice cream for their lunch

next time u may post pork knuckle rice so they can eat the whole pork knuckle for lunch :) hehehe

Stella said...

You are funny Mike and you are right. Yes, I ate congee and a few sticky rice dumplings after seeing this blog. And Chris and I ate quite some ice cream and cheese cakes after seeing all those dessert pictures in your blog. Oh, I just found there is a snack size Haagen Daze ice cream bar at Vons last week. It is half size of the regular ice cream bar so I bought 2boxes. Each box has 4 of 1.85 fl.oz. bars and it costs $3.

in the sea said...

So this tells how advertising power can be. Stella and Chris, try to work out to offset the food you take. Or like I said, don't eat those with empty stomach. Eat an apple or some fruits before anything evil.

Stella said...

Yes we will eat more fruits.
Thanks Jonathan for the advice.