Monday, June 09, 2008

Half Moon Bay, Oahu Island, Hawaii

Honolulu meant so much to me and my best friend in LA.  I won a lucky draw of an air ticket to Honolulu in October of 1990.  Then I used it with my friend to go to Honolulu on 27th February, 1991.  That's how our journey to the States started.  At that time, getting a travel visa to the States is not that easy (even maybe now), especially for 2 young men at early 20's.  So that trip was such a nice memory to me.  We went on a day tour and travelled around the island.  Found this photo and it is the Half Moon Bay behind the Diamond Head (the sleeping volcano) on Oahu Island where Honolulu and Wakiki are.  I wish I could go to Honolulu again soon.

After this trip, my friend and I went back to Honolulu half year later in September, 1991.  Besides, that was the time we learned about mileage and joined the Northwest Worldperks program - my travel agent is surprised with my deep memory of my Worldperks member no.).  That told how much we like Honolulu.  Then my friend went to LA and I went to Tokyo for business.  He then settled down in LA for study.  He even didn't use his Northwest return ticket and stayed there for 17 years.  That was the old Hong Kong airport he left.  By the time he is able to come back to Hong Kong, he will land at the new airport.  Then in between jobs in January, 1992, I went to visit my friend in LA, stayed in the Echo Valley of LA.  Since then LA has been a link to another part of the World - so far but so close too.  Met a number of nice friends in Palm Springs, Glendora and Pasadena!  Also, almost been a local in the year of 1994.  After I returned to Hong Kong in February, 1995, I found my Cantonese not capable of communicating with the others.  It took almost a month to catch up.

6 comments:

Yai said...

Wow you really travel!

Suggest you change the blog title to AROUND THE WORLD WITH IN-THE-SKY

:)

Stella said...

Yes I agreed with Yai. This blog should be named "80 minutes around the world".
Yes, Honolulu has been my favorite vacation place before BKK. I have been there 7 times(including business trip to make hotel and shopping center loans there). I like Honolulu so much because of the weather, the friendly people, the beach, the warm Pacific Ocean water, the clean air, and the nice and peaceful walk along Waikiki at night.
To my surprise, the shopping part in Honolulu is also good(with cheaper sales tax). For souvenir Tees at ABC Store, it was $10 for 3, and they are nice Tees. I am still wearing it now. Another of my favorite shop there is called "Crazy Shirts" where they sell t-shirts of crazy cats and crazy Sharka, that is how my email address was created.
So In-the-Sea, you are half local in LA. You must know all the good restaurants on Melrose, Hollywood, and La Cienega. You may know more than I do in terms of good food and good restaurants. Please post more good restaurants about LA here.

in the sea said...

Thank you Mr. Yai and Stella. I am still searching photos I took in Manila, Jakarta, Bali, Milan, Frankfurt, Cologne, Stiges, Rome, San Franscisco...etc. The first time I went to Honolulu in 1991, I noticed a lot of retired people from the States. I then told myself how I lucky I was to travel. Then I decided when I am still able I hope to visit more places. However, now the factor is time and for some places I am not so interested. I wish I can go to New Zealand and South America some day.

ABC mart - yes I certainly remember it. I enjoy quite much the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Most of all, strolling along the beach road is very nice and relaxing.

About eating, there are indeed some nice restaurants in LA and Palm Springs I still remember. There is one Italian Restaurant opposite to Virgin Megastore on Sunset Blvd., which is quite nice. I forgot the name. Actually there is one Thai restaurant in Palm Canyon Drive (Palm Springs) called Thai's Smile. They have something we can't find in Thailand. It's salad in peanut sauce! I like it very much though it seems not to be a Thai food. Who cares if it's good, whether foreign taste or not. Then on the N. Palm Canyon Drive, there is my favourite restaurant called Billy Reed's! Their hot pie and tuna melt sandwich, fish sandwich...so many.... are really good! Lots to name, but maybe we chat next time when we meet up.

Stella said...

Thanks Mr. In-the-Sea for the restaurants. Yes, I like Thai salad with peanut butter sauce; this sauce seems to be popular here at Thai Restaurants. There is one in Pasadena called "Saladang"(on Fair Oaks close to Colorado Boulevard), their salad is the best. Believe me, I am not a salad person so if I like this salad it must be good. "Saladang" is constantly mentioned on the "Los Angeles magazine". This is my favorite Thai Restaurant, both because of the food and also because it is close to my work and home(work is 2 miles northeast and home is 3 miles southwest from restaurant).

in the sea said...

Most Thai restaurants (or any other restaurants) will serve a portion at least 2-3 times bigger than the portion of the original places of that cuisine. I think their salad should be super big too. There was a time I went to Alhambra for a Chinese won ton noodle. The bowl is like a basin. There were about 12-15 won ton in the bowl and I think the noodle is about 3 times bigger than the one in HK. They forgot the original Canton Won Ton noodle (細蓉) is just a handful of noodle and 2-3 won tons in a nice dried fish/shrimp and bones soup base. Noodle soaking in the soup for a long time isn't good though I prefer soaking noodle in the soup (interesting I just like eating softer noodle).

Stella said...

That is why US people are so heavy and big due to the oversized portion of food.
That is why our US friends went to HK and think it is expensive(because the portion in HK is only 1/3 of the size here while price being the same).