Friday, June 06, 2008

Home made rice dumpling by Ping Mama, Hong Kong



This afternoon Ah Ping, my good old friend brought us some home made rice dumplings by her mom. So when I opened the dumpling, I was shocked and told my friend who is an expert at rice dumplings "I don't think we can do this! Only 2 lotus leaves can cover the rice dumpling (photo 2). As far as we know, most people do it with 3 leaves at least. Some may need 4-5. The most important part is that the dumpling was so tightly strung, as you can see from the first photo. One thing - you may wonder why the dumpling is with some red. Ping's mama used some old method - she used some herb called Red String (紅絲線) - madam, please correct me if I am wrong. This herb will some kind of aroma going with the lotus leaf. Then Ping's mama even used a whole dried scallop (photo 4). What's more, she surprised me with using the salty egg white - not just the egg york as we normally do. Then with the half fat and half lean pork (marinated with five spice powder). This dumpling is not just a good technique but also an attitude towards appreciation of food. My friend immediately called Ping's mama and appraised how much we enjoyed her dumpling. Bravo - Ping's mama, and my sincere salute! We really need to learn from you. That's the way we should take on making nice food!

5 comments:

Mike said...

remind me the dragon boat festival holds this weekend

Stella said...

Lucky you. This rice dumpling is better than those I bought tonight. This is so nicely made, with all the good ingredients including salty egg white and scallops. Ping Ma ma really made this with "heart".

in the sea said...

This morning HK has a black thunderstorm warning signal. I think I heard the thunder once every 10 seconds. Yes, so frequent that it woke me up at 8am. The serious raining made Tai Hang like a waterfall and the local got interviewed told that they had never seen like that before. The weather has been turning more and more severe and adverse. So I am afraid the traditional dragon boat racing to be held tomorrow may be affected.

Stella said...

I hate raining, especially during the holiday you want to go out to celebrate or feel the crowd.

in the sea said...

Fortunately today the weather turned to more stable with some sunshine.