Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Halal Shanghai restaurant, Wanchai, Hong Kong (closed)

*remark: unfortunately this shop was closed some time ago. Good that I took some photos of the food I took and at least I have some good memory of it. 7 Nov., 2009.


The first photo - as you can see the dish no. 310, I think next time I will try it though I don't like lamb. I wanna see how they make it with lamb for this famous Shanghai "lion head" (just a meaning of fortune - doesn't mean it's lion head). The 2nd photo - impressive! It reminded me of the pan fried beef bun in the old time soy bean drink shop at my childhood. The beef inside was ground with "Chun" pickled vegetable 沖菜! Nowadays not too many restaurants they made that. It's almost like "extinct". Besides, the bun was freshly made to order; so the bun texture is so good! The 3rd photo - pan fried Shanghai dumplings. How can we miss this typical Shanghai dim sum when we browsed the menu? Again it's freshly made to order? You know what - we re-ordered another round of beef bun and dumplings. So you know how much we enjoyed it! The fourth one - it's good but I prefer the Taiwan beef noodle shop just opposite to this restaurant on Wanchai Road. That's ok, 7 out of 8 dishes are already worth our next visit.

8 comments:

Thailand Club said...

having lamb substitute the pork in LOIN HEAD, oh, interesting

indeed, halal food is good at doing the lamb, next time u shall give it a try

Anonymous said...

You and Mr. Thailand club seem to visit many different kinds of restaurants. I browsed Thailand Club link and I really want to go to Bangkok a few weeks later during summer holiday with my family. I must try this Shanghai restaurant as you recommend. Yes, the beef bun is our favourite food when we were kids.

in the sea said...

The shop owner Jimmy (a local Middle East guy can speak fluent English; as our friend Maria often can get acquainted with anyone) claimed that there are only 2-3 Halal restaurants in Hong Kong. Actually I eat lamb but I prefer to do it by myself. I will do the traditional lamb with water chestnut in hot pot with beancurd sauce. I think in the winter I will do it again and take a photo.

Anonymous, my friends and I are often adventurous for tasting food; and we will keep in mind which restaurants are good.

Fillet-O Fish said...

So you even interview the owner Jimmy. Halal food is fun esp. the lamb. I like the sauce.

Stella said...

It seems that Wanchai has lots of good food huh.
I just found out my other good friend's office in also in Wanchai(I noticed from her email address that her office is on Glouster Road, Wanchai). I will tell her all the good food in Wanchai as she likes to eat just like me,regardless whether street food, snack food, common food or not-so-common food.

in the sea said...

Actually pork is a very good balancing meat. Without pork in the Chicken soup, it will be a bit "too hot" in nature. Lamb is also a "hot" food in nature. So too much "hot" accumulated in your body is not too good. However, once in a while shouldn't be of any harm.

Yes, the owner Jimmy recommended us to try their chicken soup. Without the golden ham and pork, I would be curious how good it can be.

Stella, Wanchai do have a lot of good restaurants from cheap to expensive. The Star Street, close to the hill side and Admiralty has lots of hip and trendy restaurants. Also, there are lots of nice fish ball noodle shops in Wanchai. Perhaps Wanchai is quite an old residential area and the food tradition is still there.

Thailand Club said...

yes the pawn street now became hip restaurants hub

in the sea said...

Thanks Anonymous 6:54am, Just noticed I need to re-organise some of the postings. This restaurant has been closed unfortunately. Too bad we miss something uncommonly good.