Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Halal Shanghai restaurant (closed)


Passed by this restaurant several times and saw the hot steam baskets at the front kitchen window, but somehow forgot going there for a trial when my mind was hunting for food after work. OK, this evening 3 of my friends and I went to pay for a visit. After we went in, we found out they don't serve pork - it's Halal - a muslim restaurant but serving Shanghai food. OK, the 2nd photo is the famous hot and spicy soup (from Sichuan), next to it is the Cucumber with crushed garlic (my favourite dish in Beijing). Both are good though the soup doesn't have pork. The 3rd one is not a stranger for those who have tried Shanghai food - Shanghai fried noodle. I like the way they stir fried the cabbage - not too soft and not too hard. Then for Halal food, why not try the curry beef! They put some spices in a right mix and not too hot and you can eat the curry. I like it this way as too hot will overwhelm the curry original taste. Remember curry is not hot. It's the chili making it hot.

3 comments:

Thailand Club said...

halal Shanghaiese food, interesting

Anonymous said...

You know quite many things about cooking and you cook some nice food from the photos on this blog. Hope I can try your food someday.

Stella said...

I just noticed from another blog today that In-the-Sky is good at making the Shanghai drunken chicken. This is a hard to make Shanghai dish.