Thursday, June 26, 2008

double boiled soup by Keung Kee, Wanchai, Hong Kong



All right, as this restaurant acclaimed itself with their double boiled soup and roasted goose, we should try these.  The soup is pretty nice with lots of ingredients.  I ordered the beef with longan and goji berries.  The soup has been double boiled for a very long time as I could tell from the texture of the beef.  Somehow the taste is a bit stronger to me.  Then for the goose, it just reminded me of the old time taste - very strong and quite salty.  Then it's the same for the broccoli with squid/chicken.  I think for those who wanna recall the old taste of some local Cantonese dishes, this one may be the one.  While taking our dinner, we saw a couple of westerners bringing a bottle of chilled champaign.  They ordered a BBQ pork to accompany their champaign - kind of cool as compared to the other table another locals taking beer with BBQ pork. 

9 comments:

Stella said...

I enlarged the menu to study. We have 90% of the dishes on this menu(except for the double boiled soup). Our price is $2 to $3US more.

in the sea said...

So do you find out which one is an unusual item on the menu for common restaurants?

Stella said...

Do you mean unusual item as compared to LA restaurants right?
The "flying plate" looks unusual to me. I don't know what dish is this. Did I guess right?

in the sea said...

The flying plate is to have 2 slices of bread. Put some meat or vegetable, or whatever you feel like. Then put that in a hot "clipping" toaster. Then it turn out like a sealed pie. There should be a term. Nowadays I found out my memory is not in a good condition. haha.

About the unusual item, it is on the drink list. Maybe you have that in LA, but in HK it is quite unusual.

Stella said...

Please tell me which one is unusual from the drink list? I am curious to know. If HK does not have it common, I don't think LA has that drink at all.
By the way, I always order the same drink when I eat at HK Style Cafe(either ice tea or ice coffee) when they are free with the meal. The other drink like Boba costs about $3 US and I don't think it is worth it.(Also I cannot take too much of Boba related ingredient as my digestive system is not that good and those sitcky Boba stick to my stomach).

in the sea said...

Well, it's the Red Bean cold drink in Ovaltine. This is kind of cool when I first noticed it on the menu. I also have a stomach problem. Now I take some small portion of papaya almost every other day. It does help a bit and now at least I can take sticky rice. I noticed it from my last Taipei trip... I took quite much sticky rice. Another thing is plain beef or steak. What's more, work out more. 20-30 min. a day or 1 hour every 2-3 days.

Stella said...

Oh you are right. We don't have Red Bean Cold Drink with Ovaltine in LA.
Yes papaya is good for stomach as it has certain kind of yeast that helps the digestive system. Yogurt also has similar effect.
But does beef or steak do with the stomach? In fact, I don't eat beef that much at home except the ox tail and beef shank.
Shall eat beef more than.

in the sea said...

Why eat beef is because our stomach lacks energy (or good blood circulation) to work well. If our blood circulation is not good, it will affects our organs.

Stella said...

Thank you Sea for the beef knowledge.