Wednesday, October 14, 2009

AMICI, Italian Restaurant, G/F., Siam Paragon, Bangkok, Thailand

Passed by this Italian restaurant quite many times, and I guess so most of the others may have noticed this Italian restaurant. So in taking note of its weekend brunch buffet at THB699++, it would be a good chance of trying it. So it turned out it's half and half. My advice is that don't treat it as an Italian restaurant, then you would feel better. Considering it's THB699++, I would think it all depends on what you wanna get. So I would make my comments as half and half.

1. If you can enlarge the photo, you would see the live oyster looks good and the shell looks big, right? When I checked it on the oyster section, I noticed what kind of oyster it is as it has two "mini-scallop" things in one oyster - a mini-twin? Then when I used my knife to cut off that part, it was off already. I realised there are 2 baby oysters being put in one shell and so it looks big! Wouldn't it be too creative and much too! However, I just dropped that from my mouth as these baby oysters had better not be eaten raw that way. I also noticed the sashimi are a bit artificially coloured. So the cold dishes are really a bit too "authentic" indeed. 2. a good window side table.

3. I somehow advised my friends not to eat these as you can tell the sashimi color is too artificial, and so for the "caviar" so-called by the shop. Anyone who has tried the Japanese crab roe salad should come across this one. How can it be caviar? I really doubt if we should give it to the Thai consumer's council? 4. the shop put the grilled stuff on this window as a sampler to attract customers to go in. The grilled prawns are pretty nice though.

5. the table for the salad and cold dishes. 6. sushi section but I didn't take any.

7. the interesting so-called caviar! 8. oysters and other shell fishes.
9. the cold cut platter - the parma ham, salami and other cold cuts are somewhat too hard to chew and I gave that up on my plate. 10. grilled beef (claimed from Australia) - the beef steak is pretty good though. You may find it ironic for me to say - it has beef taste indeed and to some extent it's beyond my expectation.

11. the cold dish that I dropped... 12. the salad green and other snacks.

13. the outside pasta station. 14. the BBQ station.

15. risotto in black truffle - this one is really nice though the rice is a bit too well done. However, my preference for Italian risotto is to be a bit well done rather than on its original recipe. So I had a second order of this one. 16. the pizza and bread are a bit disappointing.

17. lamb rack and grilled prawn - they are pretty good and at least made up for my disappointments with other food. 18. freshly stir fried pasta in garlic pesto spicy sauce - also pretty good.
19. Thai noodle in spicy coconut fish ball soup - this one is very nice and it's pretty ironic that the shop is good at the non-Italian food while claiming it as Italian restaurant. 20. Crepe in orange sauce - so so.
21. choco ice cream and vanilla ice cream - at average. 22. Tiramisu - I got a tiny bite but then dropped it.
23. ok, strawberry ice cream and lemon sorbet. I just finished the lemon sorbet - pretty good!

10 comments:

Thailand Club said...

so the oyster in Amici brunch maybe local one of those made the or-suan in Thai-CN restaurants

and those so-called caviar maybe just borrow from Fuji ...

Anonymous said...

If no one eat caviar before they may think it's caviar. This is not good to fake something in this high class restaurant.

Anonymous said...

$20 US for this in BKK is not that cheap.
I remember you told me you planned to go to the BBQ Restaurant instead of here right?
SS

in the sea said...

TC, correct. Those oysters are the baby ones used for or-suan.

Mmmh.... for some reason, I don't know this time I took so many buffets.... and tomorrow another one at Eaton Hotel Jordan. Will report that in due course.

Thailand Club said...

no pain no gain, thanks guinea pig :)

in the sea said...

Mmh... but the grilled beef steak, lamb rack, made-to-order pasta and the black truffle risotto are quite nice. Just don't go get the oyster and the sashimi and their so-called "caviar" is ok.

Anonymous said...

I tried one time for this restaurant but it is quite good, but quite expensive. Now they have buffet if it is 699, it is a good price. Last time I paid around 1,200 for a soup and spahegatti and a desert.

Anonymous said...

nice place to eat many times in the last 2+years

Anonymous said...

Today I did spend 3000bath for a salade, a glas of wine, and an huge plate of prosciutto not so big requested.

Last I give for sure 3000bath but they insist was only 2000 so the bill was 4000bath all together !

I will not return for sure...

in the sea said...

Thanks Anonymous for the comments. The bill is a bit too crazy. Thanks for telling and for sure I won't re-visit this restaurant from my last visit.