Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sala Phuket, Thailand (to be continued...)

Though the weather has been pretty stable and much beyond my expectation durig this stay, the resort itself has given a very pleasant experience in every little detail from the service, the restaurant, the common area and the theme of the resort.

1. poached egg on blue water swimmer crab meat in cajun and hollandaise sauce baked on croissant - why I could still remember all the details is that this croissant is really impressive to me. Like I told about poached fish fillet, poached egg is the most difficult food to be done perfectly. It could be a bit rough on the surface if the boiling water is too dry and hot. Or it could be too scattered if the boiling water is not hot enough. When I took a bite on this poached egg, it really amazed my taste buds! Actually I don't like poached egg and I can say I hate it, but if the chef is very skillful, I should try something I hate the most and see how good the chef is. The cajun and hollandaise sauce is also the thing I hate the most and croissant too (as those are a bit too greasy and indigestive. Yet, I don't like crab much.... So all of these made me so impressive from the food I don't prefer! My bet is worth it! This is something we sometimes need to take into consideration of how we would appreciate the Chef's cooking skill by taking some food we don't enjoy. 2. The pancake is quite average and I prefer their waffles. However, the restaurant used some very nice maple syrup which made it up.

3. Some non-Chinese restaurants often mix up rice porridge and congee as one thing. Rice porridge is like this - light boiling and you can chew the rice and it's actually a Chiu Chow style rice cooking. Cantonese congee is at least thru' 1 hour high heat boiling without being covered (明火) and 1.5 hour is preferred. Another congee is like what I told earlier - congee paste (rice flour boiled into a pasty texture and you can't feel the broken rice in it and the rice aroma). This rice porridge made by the Chef is also beyond my expectation. At least the Chef used some chicken and pork broth to boil it. Together with the deep fried shallot and pasley/scallion, it turned out to be a nice porridge. 4.See how nice the pineapple and mango were presented and yet with the salt/sugar with some spices are nice to go with the pineapple and it's a local Thai way of eating pineapple and pomelo with the blast of sugar/salt/spice; That told the restaurant didn't leave their local Thai style while maintaining the modern manner of taking their symbolic fruits.

5. icy water served by the pool side. 6. another pool view to the beach front and the nice grassland.

7. another view to the pool of the Sala pool villa. 8. the 2 bed room suites on the sea front but somehow all the four 2 bed room suites are blocked either by the pool or the restaurant. This is something I think Sala should think about the whole layout of the resort. For convenience, the public area should be at the center and backside of the resort while leaving the beachfront suites close to the seafront without anything in the way.

9. the whole view of the 2 bed room villa. 10. the 2 restroom on each end of the resort beach front is quite of a design.
11. entrance to the ladies' room. 12. the sink.
13. inside to the outside. 14. something to dry your hands.

15/16. this restroom is close to the restaurant and you even wouldn't find it a restroom.

17. used towels into the cage. 18. sign for the ladies.
19. the sink. 20. day bed area by the pool.

9 comments:

Stella said...

I like this rest room as it is stylish and contemporary.
I was told this Sala Resort was $750 US per night when economy was good.
From your photos the place is not that hot and it is windy.

Thailand Club said...

because it was all week raining :)

Stella said...

Thanks TC for the explanation. SEA's camera is very good as I can tell it is gloomy day and also windy.

in the sea said...

SS, yes, it was quite windy and rainy. Noted that during October when the climate is shifting, the weather can be very unstable, just like May and June in HK.

Paranoid Android said...

Hello! had been very busy at work, back2back meets and all. Now I know where I am heading for when I get a vacation! The food looks awesome!

in the sea said...

Welcome back Android. This resort is one of the choices I would recommend if you have any vacation trip to Phuket. Yes, the restaurant at Sala is pretty good if you consider this point.

Stella said...

Remember Paranoid, Sala is MO equivalent in Phuket.

in the sea said...

SS, will give you a brief report from the Int'l hotel association about a demand note to MO... Stay tuned. :)

Stella said...

Thank you SEA.