Saturday, October 03, 2009

Lemon tree, Glendora, California

Whenever I rode on the freeway from LA towards the east on I-10 freeway, the song "It never rained in Southern California" (by Albert Hammond) would somehow rang up in my ears. Southern California is almost 3/4th of the year with abundant sun shine. In taking such an advantage, the locally grown fruits are really special. When I first visited my friend's apt. in Glendora, I was puzzled at an orange size lemon and asked if that was a lemon. My friend immediately got one and cut it in pieces and put in a sunny iced tea. The strong "melon" aromatic lemon is so pleasant during a hot sunny day. I have never tried lemon with a melon aroma. Besides, freshly picked from the tree is superb. So then I checked around the backyard. There were grapefruit, orange, tangerine, plum, blue berry, apple, apricot.... So just pick some of those freshly picked fruits to go with some crackers and cheese and you would have a very nice lunch, followed with a sunny iced tea. My friend put some tea bags in a glass jar with room temperature water and put it in the sun for an hour. At first I wondered how would the tea aroma will be released without hot water, but somehow it has! Then take it with some ice cubes and freshly cut lemon. No need to put sugar. There went the sunny iced tea.

1. the lemon tree and I was given plenty of them on my way back to Hong Kong. They still tasted so good even after a 15 hour flight. 2. the tangerine tree.
3. the flower gardening.

5 comments:

Stella said...

When did you come to CA SEA?
This apartment must have big yard.
So the fruits in the apartment are shared by all tenants?

in the sea said...

That was about early '05. I used to go to LA almost every year for attending a conference but now concentrating on the event in Cannes to save for the 2 long trips in one. I certainly choose the one in Cannes as the past few trips to LA did discourage me from going to the States, especially answering some questions like "are you a terrorist". Then my reply is no. So the next question is "is your friend or relative engaged in any terrorist activities?". So my reply will be "no" again. Then the next next one "will you participate in any terrorist activities?'. I understand those few times were just after 911 but taking a extra long flight and touched down with instant questions like that.

On one of the other visits, I flew on a connecting flight to Palm Springs. Together with me, there was a group of seniors. When the jet's door was opened and they were asked to raise up their passports. So those innocent senior people just asked "for god's sake, we are Americans. We are not refuges...". So then they were asked to stand aside and be the last ones to pass thru' the immigration.

So my constant answer to all travellers - be more patient and calm down as much as possible when you pass the immigration of whatever country it is....

Anonymous said...

You are so right. I totally agree with you. US Gov't agency are always too extreme and over react. Even in banking the new account people need to ask the new customer this kind of stupid questions when they "donate" their money to open account. But at least they asked it more subtly instead of your case above. If they want to check terrorist related questions, this shall have taken place when you buy the air ticket and before you take off the plane, not when you are landing already. And they shall ask more specific and polite questions instead of this stupid and rude "yes" or "no" question.
Another extreme case of the stupid US is about lending. At one time all the bankers "force" you to borrow up to 100% of your house value. And now all the bankers don't even lend 30%. The worse part is they cut your house equity line of credit all of the sudden and leave you up in the air(then you drop dead). How can the US economy turn if they force you to borrow when you don't need it and force to cut you off when you need it???
Regards,
From one patriotic non-terrorist US good citizen.

in the sea said...

To one patriotic non-terrorist US good citizen, I truly understand those officers just follow the rules from what they were instructed. Did you get a chance of watching the Tom Hank's movie "Airport"? It simply told this kind of rules/regulations. Tom Hanks acted as a "nationless" Eastern European as when he landed at the NYC Airport and tried to find a Jazz player for (seems like for an autography) his father, his Country was in Coup de'tat and his passport was invalid and so he was stuck in the Airport and lived in the Airport. I think this is not an exclusive thing in the States but also in quite many places, even in Hong Kong. Most of the Governmental departments are just to follow the rules and regulations. There are of course pros as if there are not clear regulations, some people may not know what to follow exactly.

There are some other things I really appreciate the lifestyle of the States - movie and music culture - so comprehensive. I enjoyed some TV series like "Roxanne" (in early 90's) and David Letter Show (watched it since early 90's until now I would watch it in the local HK English channel.)....etc. There are indeed many many nice American movies and music I still enjoy much. I could spend 3-4 hours in Virgin Mega-store back then.

The Q&As I mentioned might not happen in these few years. Do you know I did a big big mistake about my US travel visa? In the old days I had an indefinite travel visa on my old passport. As when I tried to switch my travel visa from old one to the new one, the indefinite visa was crossed out and on the new passport I got a timed 10 year visa... :) Later on I got told I could still use that old indefinite visa together with the new passport....

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sea. I have to to get that "Airport" movie some day and I like Tom Hanks.