Tuesday, October 06, 2009

The breakfast, the lunch, the Sala, Mai Khao, Phuket, Thailand

The restaurant in a resort is of certain consideration during your choosing which one to stay. In general, the restaurant is pretty nice, service and food-wise. The waitresses are very well trained and attentive in seeing what your need is. Not sure if they are influenced by MO....:)
1. fruit salad and some mini egg-cakes (forgot the French name as it's very popular in France as a snack). 2. the coffee is superb - very fine coffee ground bean and I took 2 jars of it. :)

3. tea by Ronnefeldt - pretty good selection! 4. Just like most other hotels in Thailand - they seldom serve the true orange juice. It's actually tangerine juice. Taking one glass is ok, but taking too much would upset your intestine and quite "detoxifying" if you want it.

5. Egg and steak - very nice steak and it's an import one. The potato is very nice too. 6. bacon, egg and sausage. The sausage is nice and not that "processed". At least you can chew the ground pork and beef taste.

7. Lovely waffles - though it's cooled down a bit, it's still quite crusty and aromatic. The maple syrup is a perfect match. Their home made vanilla cream is also nice - not too sweet. Mango salad to refresh your creamy taste. So good! 8. my favourite wheat toast - warm and fresh.

9. The resort will give you a night time herbal drink for you to call it a day. 10. English breakfast - baked beans, grilled tomato, black pudding, sauteed mushroom, back bacon, sausage and pan fried potato. I took them all! Very nice breakfast selection. The black pudding is awesome!

11. Almond and vanilla granola with the house made yoghurt. Even I was full, I could still finish it all. 12. lunch with a view to the pool.

13. Berry lassie and strawberry mango shake. Good for a hot day off. 14. Kuay Tiew Tom Yam. Seems like the kitchen is not only good for western food but also for local Thai food.

15. Spaghetti with prawn in tomato sauce. The spaghetti was a bit over-cooked but still ok with me. The prawns were not well done but as long as they were fresh, it's still ok. 16. Gazpacho - I would definitely try this soup whenever I noticed it's on the menu. This one was a bit disappointing. The original gazpacho is to blend the overnight bread, gloves of garlic, tomato, olive oil and some fine herbs. They somehow missed the fundamental thing - the overnight bread. They used the cream soup base to thicken it. Why use the overnight bread? It's like the Cantonese fried rice is often used with overnight rice. It's simply because of the drier and harder texture. So the overnight bread would give not just the thickening texture but also a texture of bread's molecules as well as the bread's flour taste.
17. you would be given a cold towel with lemongrass scent after the meal.

7 comments:

Stella said...

This was a nice place and all the food looks so good here, even the wheat thick toast.
That French egg cake is very popular in LA. I forgot the name but I always buy it at Trader Joe.

in the sea said...

Yes, SS, I even ordered another 2 thick slices of wheat toast after the first round of 2, and after the waffles and after all the food. The coffee is so nice....

Stella said...

Cannot tell you are also a "bread" person SEA.
This hotel looks better than the "East meets West" one.

in the sea said...

Mmh.. I like the nice flour aroma and rice aroma. They are just something which look so simple but yet they are so tasteful to me. I don't put any butter and jam on bread or toast and have been asked for quite many times - it's tasteless without jam and butter. I just told them I want the flour aroma more than the jam and butter.

Stella said...

I think the mini egg cake snack is called "madeleine". This is a popular French snack mini cake for coffee time.

in the sea said...

Wow... thanks for solving me the "cap up at my lips" answer. It has tortured me much over the past few days for what it'd be called in France. SS, Sala has done this even better than some French restaurants I visited in Cannes, Nice and Paris. I took them all every morning.

Stella said...

Because of your nice pictures of the madeleines here, I ate 6(one bag) last night and another 3 in the office today.