Monday, October 19, 2009

Tung Tak HK local snack shop 通達小食店, Yaumatei/Mongkok, Kowloon, Hong Kong

During the year from 1997 to 2004, this local snack shop is like my canteen for lunch as it's just opposite to my office on Pik Street. At that time the shop was just only one unit but now it has expanded to the next door unit with lots of customers waiting in line. Happy to see them grow. The food is not special but it has some nostalgic food such as 豬油渣麵 (fried pork fat noodle) and their local snacks like steamed rice roll, mini-stall noodle 車仔麵....etc. The food quality is pretty good but the prices are very cheap. I recall I used to order the preserved veggie pork noodle soup and it's just HK$13.

1. the menu and the sauces. 2. I guess this street stall siu mai is the most popular snack after fish balls. HK$8 for 10 pieces. If you order one snack, you can just add HK$4 for a nice soya milk. It's pretty good too.

3. steamed rice roll with sweet sauce, sesame sauce and soy sauce with sesame together - HK$8! I guess 99% of the kids in HK would love this snack. So good and their steamed rice roll is in a perfect texture. 4. 3 mixes 三溝 - HK$12. This is a street stall fusion food - fish patty chunks, lettuce pieces and mini-bowl fins (魚肉生菜溝碗仔翅) . This fusion food came out about 10-15 years ago.

5. 碗仔翅 mini-bowl fins - of course, at just HK$11, how can you have the real shark's fin but it's actually quite a healthy snack if we don't count the msg. At least it has black fungus, pan fried egg slices and some pork slices. So do you remember we need to put some sesame oil, white pepper powder and red vinegar? One of my favourite street stall snack! 6. steamed rice roll HK$10. Right after I took this photo, I showed it to my Taiwanese friend. She then told me "how can you compare it to ours in Yung He Town in Taipei?". I dared to reply her "do you know this one and the shop at Fu Hsing South Rd in Taipei city are the very few shops which would make this kind of rice roll to the order of the customers, rather than massively produce it and wait for the customers to buy them in line. So when the rice roll stays for more than 5-10 minutes, the deep fried Chinese doughnut would become soften and the moisture would get in the "hair-like" pork, the whole tasting texture is so different. The renowned Yung He town's Xi Hai (四海 - actually the name should be Xi Hai but it's in Yung He 永和 and that's why people call it as Yung He and later on most shops called themselves as Yung He.) massively produce their rice roll, BBQ pastry and their soya bean milk is either warm or slightly chilled which I really hate. So I really don't recommend people to go try that so-called original shop as I have tried that one almost 10 times already. 10 times turn out the same quality. That's how I told my Taiwanese friends and not to spoil that original shop. So Tung Tak keeps on making this rice roll freshly to the order of customers. A very important point! That's why I like Tung Tak.
7. see how crowded outside of the shop.

11 comments:

Stella said...

Oh this is killing me. All the nostalgic snack foods that I missed for so long. Especially the steamed "chong fun" with lots of sesame, sweet soy sauce and hot sauce on top. I ate this too every time at HK airport.
Also the "little bowl" shark fin, the fish ball, the fried "lard" noodle, and the preserved "mui choi guo yuck". All so yummy. Good food can also be cheap and delicious too.
SEA, I am surprised you can eat "fried lard noodle" and "preserved mui choi guo yock". With the fried lard I can eat 3 bowls of rice easily with only half full. Yes I am a rice and bread person. I used to beat all the guys for the "eating rice" competition.(The only one who can beat me is TC.) P.S. Please note I said I "used to".

in the sea said...

OK, SS, will post a photo to get you even more itchy... Steamed rice in a "beggar clay pot" with roast lard oil by Wing Wah Restaurant. :) 焼豬油撈"bu"仔蒸飯 with頭抽.

Stella said...

Sea, you are killing me again by all those delicious nostalgic foods from those good old days. Lard with rice used to be one of my favorites. Now I can only find lard from the steamed fish. Yes, I suspect the restaurants still use the lard with the soy sauce on top of the steamed fish and that is why it is so tasty.

I also missed those "lard" cake(Chu Yau Ko)from Macau.

in the sea said...

Mmmh... the Chu Yau cake is still here in some old cake shop. See if I have time to make the year cake with lard in the coming Chinese New York. My aunts were so happy with my Year cake as, besides lard I used the cane sugar from the big clay pot in the old grocery in Shaukiwan. When I ran into that big clay pot cane sugar, my eyes got so bright!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. SEA,
Are you a professional writer?
Or a professional photographer?
May

in the sea said...

Hi May,

I am neither a pro. writer nor a pro. photographer. I just wrote whatever I feel like to my knowledges. It may be on some bias or something I am not aware of since I haven't done much research before giving my comments. So the writings here are based on my personal knowledges and what I have been taught from my family elder generation...etc.

Stella said...

Yes May,
This is a sharing blog out of our personal experience and opinion.
Sea has many jobs(writer, blogger, gourmet eater, traveler, photographer) other than his full time real job.

in the sea said...

Yes, I have accumulated as much hobbies as I can so that in my retirement, I can have so many programs to kill time.

Anonymous said...

Интересно написано....но многое остается непонятнымb

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I acquiesce in but I dream the post should secure more info then it has.