Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Soup of the Day: Alternate renovation

During the typhoon hitting Manila 3-4 weeks ago, my friend in Manila lost in touch with me for a week and it had been quite unusual to me as she is such a responsive lady. One day I got an email from her. I wouldn't believe what she had gone thru' but most of all her she turned her twist of fate.

She wrote in the lines: "My husband and I needed to jump off the 3rd floor of our house, with our 3 kids (from 6-12). We swam 200 meters to a higher land and be able to survive. All of us were wet, with no food and no water for a day. We saw our house submerged in the water and the whole area is like a big ocean. We saw our neighbours trapped in their houses and heard them cried and then silent. Their bodies flew in the water.....

I wrote back to her at the last sentence "You lost your houses but you have your own hands to earn it back. The most important is you, your husband and your 3 kids. All of you survive.".

Then she replied "Right, now all of us turned it to another thought. It's time for us to renovate our house. The 3 kids, my husband and I are now painting the house and trying to fix anything we think they still work. We have had our fun time in this renovation.

So this alternate renovation is a good example for us to turn the odds into something and be appreciative of what we have been given and every day we count.

3 comments:

Stella said...

So sometimes a curse can turn into a blessing depending on how we look at it and deal with it.

in the sea said...

Yes, there are people who can live happily against all odds, and there are people who always complain for things like they can't get - just like some people getting so sad when they couldn't buy a newly arrived Italian suit.

Stella said...

Thank you for the chicken soup Sea.