Monday, October 19, 2009

鴨寮街 Ap Liu Street, ShamShuiPo, Kowloon, Hong Kong

I think the Golden Computer Center is probably a derivative place from this classic electronic street in Shamshuipoo. This street is on the other side of Shamshuipoo subway station. My elder brother used to bring me to this street and told me lots of electronic things like semi-conductor and why the vacuum tube amplifier is so good in music quality and how he had a tailor-made speakers by mix-and-match. My elder brother is very good at those electronic stuff and to some extent I got some influence from him. The room no. 206 at the Reflections Hotel on soi Ari Bangkok suddenly jumped up in my mind. That room 206 had a vacuum tube amplifier and that amplifier made me stay in the room from not going to Siam area.

1. see how old of this building. It's like my grand-aunt's place. 2. Ap Liu Street - this is the street where I got the electro-wave sphere and laser pattern lighting.

3. another view. 4. another nice old building.

5. Passed by this fruit shop and I really told myself "I am not an Earth man" because I really don't know about this fruit shop. Do you know? (the banner's word can be translated as "any Earth man knows Hing Kee fruit shop's fruits are the best and cheapest. 6. Wow the look of this reataurant makes me wonder if I am in any China Town outside of HK, say London.

7. this shop is told to be good for its dessert and it has a few shops in Mongkok and Shamshuipoo. 8. ordered this osmanthus jello. HK$20. The jello itself is a bit too hard. I need a knife to cut it. Yes, I mean it. So after one piece, my stomach told me I needed to stop. As for the taste, the shop made a serious mistake. Osmanthus is a delicate and slight fragrant flower petals. Any fruit like mango which is stronger in taste and fragrance would overwhlem the nice delicate fragrance of osmanthus. What a waste.

9. Strawberry and Vanilla flaky snowy ice on herbal jello and fruits. 10. Double Choco flaky snowy ice on fruits and herbal jello. Both are around HK$43 and 38. I think it's a bit over-priced. Again this shop is like the one 糖百俯 (as shown on Suzie Wong's show), they forgot how the Taiwanese flaky snowy ice should be. They only paid attention to the various taste of this ice. The essence is the condensed thick milk in the ice base itself. Then it should be the syrup to bring out the taste.

1 comment:

Stella said...

I remember that Ap Liu Street is famous for its old and antique items.
And always can bargain the price.

Yes that Chinese Restaurant looks very "shu", more "Shu" than those in LA, SF, or BKK Chinatown