Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Tea for Two, Ying Kee Tea House since 1881, 英記茶莊(自光緒八年)

I am not a tea person but I am quite curious about this tea house every time I pass by it. So when my friend asked me to help him get some nice tea leaves, I took the chance of going into the shop and found out quite many interesting things. In the shop I was told the boiling water for making tea should vary on different type of tea leaves, e.g. 100 degree for the darkest tea leaves Po Er 普洱, then down to 80 degree to Jasmine. The old man in the shop further told the water is also very important, better use some high mountain water. No distilled water. He further told drinking tea is a study and once you are in it, you would be obsessed with it.

I further noted that the shop has been in HK since 1881 and HK island and the Kowloon Peninsula south of Boundary Street were already part of the British Colony. What a historical shop and still here to serve tea.

No comments: