Monday, October 19, 2009

Eaton Hotel, Coffee Shop, Jordan, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Do you remember which building used to be Eaton Hotel? It's the Po Hing Cinema (普慶)? I guess it should be at around 20 Eaton Hotel was replaced the Po Hing Cinema. Later on, I got used to go to Eaton Hotel for their semi-buffet - cold dishes and dessert as buffet and the main course to be chosen from the menu - same as Bostonian of the Renaissance TST Hotel (now Langham Hotel).

1. Even Nathan Hotel has renovated itself. What a symbolic hotel in Jordan area! 2. the buffet table of Eaton Coffee shop. It has changed the "main course" menu buffet to full buffet.

3. the cold dishes. All of them are quite average and to above average. 4. another plate of cold dishes. Note a piece of toast - it's tomato bread.

5. Oh, the lamb rack is superb! Though I don't like lamb, it's really so good. The chef freshly made the grilled lam rack to your order. He put some rosemary and slight raw salt on it! The prime rib is not good though. Interesting the dim sum is pretty good and I guess it's probably from Yat Tung Heen - one of my top 10 dim sum restaurants in the late 80's. Wow it seems Yat Tung Heen still keeps up its quality. Must go there again. 6. a plate of toasted bread. When I noticed they have an open toaster and lots of bread, I couldn't help taking more and more... The top one is the olive/herb bread and the below one is a wheat bread. So good.

7. vegetarian soup - pretty good. 8. the dessert is beyond my expectation. Though I don't like Movenpick ice cream, they use it for dessert. So at just HK$148, if you get 5-6 scoops of Movenpick, you can offset your bill. The choco mouse is very nice and the blue berry cheese cake.
9. Soybean soft curd - also very nice. Must try!

11 comments:

Stella said...

Glad to see our old friend, Nathan Hotel, has a new modern look now. Nathan Hotel used to be our relatives(from Thailand and Southeast Asia)' hotel in the 70's so we often come here. I still remember its old look.
Po Hing Cinema was also my frequently visited place. Always good to see those good old places again here. Thank you SEA for bringing back those good old days.

in the sea said...

You are welcome. I think before my memory is gone, I need to write down what I can still remember. So do you remember Pak Lok (百樂)Cinema, Hoi Wun (海運) Cinema, 碧麗宮(not sure if it's called the Palace), (東方)the Oriental Cinema and most of all East Town 東城 Cinema - the haunting cinema (and do you still remember those haunting stories from our older generations?)? So a guessing game only for you - which one of the above is still here?

Paranoid Android said...

Hi! I remember this Hotel! As Stella pointed out, it is a favourite for Malaysians visiting HK, so near to everything along Nathan!

in the sea said...

Yes, Android, in terms of location, Jordan is quite a middle location between Mongkok and Tsim Sha Tsui. My friends and I used to walk from Mongkok to Tsim Sha Tsui on Nathan Road and it's fun.

Stella said...

Hi Sea,
I do remember all those cinemas. How about "Lee Mo Toy"?
OK, my wild guess is "Ocean Cinema".

Yes Paranoid, our friends from Malaysia, S'pore, Indonesian and Thailand all stayed at Nathan Hotel due to its convenient location to everywhere. I remember this Hotel can walk to Salisberry Road where there are many tailors and shops. I even dream of it before.

in the sea said...

SS, Lee Theatre was demolished quite many years ago and now it's a mini-mall and with some restaurants. Correct, Ocean Cinema is still there but its fate is much of a question since those developers wanna re-phrase that whole Star House, Ocean Terminal area.

I think the road for those tailors' shop is Mody Road where Holiday Inn is at the juntion at Nathan.

BTW, Hyatt Regency has just been back and it's on Hanoi Rd. (close to Mody Rd.). I'll go there for a check. Hyatt Regency was my most favourite hotel serving every nice meal, from the buffet of the coffee shop, strawberry tea buffet at the M floor lounge and of course the excellent Chinese restaurant!

Stella said...

You got it Sea. It is Mody Road.
Yes. Hyatt Hotel was also our frequently visited hotel it the old days. Also Park Lane Hotel as the buffet there was cheap.
Oh, do they still have Cherrekoff?

in the sea said...

SS, do you still remember the old name of Park Lane Hotel? Park Lane once launched a 24 hour buffet but then stopped. Who would take buffet at 2-4am? Park Lane and most other hotels (including JW Marriott) have remarked "we have Alaskan crab legs". I really don't know why people like that frozen crab legs. Frozen seafood is the least chosen food for me at buffet. My grand mom always reminded me of buying the veggie/food for lunch and dinner 2 times a day. One at 9am and the other at 3-4pm for the freshest food. Eating is the top priority among all things in Cantonese culture.

Stella said...

Is the old hotel called "Sun Lok"?

You are right SEA. I don't understand why Alaska King Crab Leg is so good for the buffet. It is so fishy and salty. I was told only eat fresh crab but not the dead crab for some health reason. But other than the health reason, frozen crab does not taste good at all. Also, it is very "hon"(cold).

in the sea said...

Park Lane Hotel was called Plaza Hotel facing Victoria Park. Sun Lok is still here and I was told lately they have very nice nostalgic Cantonese food. Will try it later.

My grand mom told me not to eat those seafood living attached to or around big stones, esp. crabs. They throw away the mussel and even scallop, but not sure if they threw abalone... :) My father told me he was surprised scallop and the pp prawn are now expensive food as in the eyes of fishermen, these 2 are the most unwanted food. Besides, they don't take fresh water fish or shrimp. The best is those from deep water.

Stella said...

Thank you SEA for the explanation of Park Lane/Plaza Hotel/Sun Lok Hotel and the living seafood.
Yes I heard that seafood stick with stone is not clean as they eat dirty stuffs.
My stomach doesn't feel well every time I eat mussel so now I don't eat this. But I do feel good after eating abalone though. Especially when I don't need to pay. :)