Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sir Joseph Conrad - as Lord Jim's, Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, Thailand

When I stayed at MO with my sister's family, I got to read some articles about the legendary stories of Sir Joseph Conrad and its relationship with Oriental Bangkok in the old old days. So there went a restaurant being named after him as Lord Jim's. However, most of the visitors paid more attention to the renowned lunch buffet in this restaurant. So as a self-volunteer marketing assistant of MO BKK, I have been bringing my sisters families, my colleagues and most of my friends to Lord Jim's and the comments are "wow".. "oh...", "I need to stay in Oriental BKK for once in my next future trips". Now I got one more MO fan.

However, last time when I was in Lord Jim's, I found out their service is a bit dropped. But as a marketing assistant, I need to say something to make it up for their service dropped. OK, the reason behind it is very simple. MO BKK has been very outstanding in their services and restaurant qualities and left all the other 5/6 star hotels much much behind. So all the other 5/6 stars file a joint complaint to the hotel association and demand for MO to at least shorten the distance by dropping their level of service and restaurant quality. So our MO fans, the above should be agreed by all of you, right? :)

1. the cold dish. 2. I wanna share with you about an alternate way to eat sashimi. You may try to use the raw sea salt offered on the table. Squeeze lemon juice on it and if you like wasabi, get very slight wasabi. It's better than taking it with soy sauce. Soy sauce will overwhelm the fresh taste of the nice sashimi.

3. another cold dish. The pate is still good as before! 4. didn't expect their Tom Yam Gong is good too, probably from their Thai outlet Sala Rim Nam.

5. The chilled salad and my favourite bread. As you can see from the photo 3, I got one already. 6. the hot food. I need to say their grilled chicken with rosemary is not that nice. They used farm chicken, not free range house chicken. So this is the little thing they did to drop their food quality to shorten the distance from the other falling-behind hotel restaurants. Good for them to be that thoughtful.

7. the dessert is always good in Lord Jim's. The macarons are also nice, taste-wise. The macarons should have been a bit less sticky and immediately melty in your mouth. Another little thing they did purposedly to drop their service. :) 8. Longan and ginklo sweet - pretty good.

9. Lord jim's renowned dessert! Lovely orange sauce and cherry. Somehow I don't like their house made ice cream, after I find my favourite nostalgic ice cream from Thung Kruen. 10. Choco and some dried apricot.


11. 2 scoops of choco. ice cream. 12. fresh fruits - their mangoes are always very selected! Very fresh and sweet.

13. Coffee and vanilla mouse - pretty nice. 14. View to the Chaophrya River.

15. peppermint tea after a full meal. 16. ok, right after the buffet, can't get away from MO's shadow. So I went in the Oriental deli in Siam Paragon ground floor.
17. the shop inside. 18. ordered a very nice fruit salad iced tea. Must try! So refreshing.

19. a closer look at this nice dream. 20. not my order... but it's nice - choco and vanilla ice cream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is another introduction to this Mandarin restaurant in Bangkok. I have not tried it because need to wear long pants and good shoes.

Stella said...

So MO's quality drop is due to the "class action"(joint complaint) from its competitors huh. What a good reason.
No matter how its quality drop, my favorite MO still far exceed its peers so it can afford the drop.
MO is still the best, even with a few more degree drop. :)

in the sea said...

SS, you know "good heart has reverse bad impact". What you said is just to let the other hotels further upgrade their action... Your good word just made MO BKK need to further drop.

To Anonymous, you can actually wear jeans and sport shoes to go to Lord Jim's.