Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Hong Kong Old Restaurant (香港老飯店) 98 years old

What a contrast of today going backward to a century ago. My Taiwanese friend gave me some cash coupon for consuming in this famous nostalgic Shanghai restaurant. Her father is from Shanghai and she knows lots of Shanghai cuisine. She was surprised with this restaurant and immediately recommend me to try it. So when I walked into this shop, I noticed most of the customers are very senior and that made me like I am a kid in the restaurant. When I checked on the menu, the prices are also very "senior". Those common dishes are either $98 or $128 (like those below). If you want some more delicate dishes, it will be around $250-400 such as those shark's fin wonton soup or hot burnt pig's knuckle. However, their service is pretty good and that told why the shop is still very full. To respect the seniors, I didn't take photos of the restaurant.

1. the crispy peanuts was very crispy and not too salty. 2. deep fried spare ribs - note the spicy salt and sweet/sour sauce were served aside.

3. chicken/veggie stewed with noodle - nice soup base and the noodle is not that soft as this kind of stewed noodle would get the noodle a bit too soft. 4. Don't know why I ordered this one as it's quite Cantonese but it turned out a very nice stir-fried bean sprout. It was used with some very fine yellow wine for the stir-frying. Aromatic without a trace of bitter taste! The conpoy (dried scallop) is very selected. Not salty but very sweet and not too loose.

5. veggie/pork dumpling - wow, the soup base is nice and as I finished the wonton, I stopped the waitress from taking it away and simply told her "I really appreciated the soup left.". 6. I purposely asked for some vinegar and see if they use some fine vinegar. The answer is yes! Nice vinegar is sour to the right level, not to make you feel bitter dry. This is it! (haha... a promo. for MJ subsciously).
7. do you know why I took this one. I couldn't help with this nostalgic yellow mini towel placed on the sink. When is this year?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it in the Wanchai Century Hotel before?

in the sea said...

If my memory is still correct, the one in Novotel Century Wanchai should be called Shanghai Lao Ching Hing.... This one is now at Newton Hotel Fortress Hill and another branch in the Miramar shopping mall on Kimberly Road TST.

Anonymous said...

Oh I missed this Shanghainese "Luen G Wei Mien" a lot.
SS

in the sea said...

That one served here is good....