Tuesday, September 22, 2009

dining at Hotel Maya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

1. the hotel Maya. 2. Bought a piece of cake and some cookies to go with their complimentary ground coffee.

3. minute steak at breakfast. 4. Mee Siam - super hot! the "mee" is pretty good though but it's more like a Hsia Mun fried rice noodle.

5. roti with curry chicken - the roti is quite nice and I think they should be good at it. 6. when I read the menu and found this one "Gee Cheong Fun", then certainly tried it. It's quite at average and if you miss Cantonese breakfast much, just try it. I still give it a good comment on its being served "very hot". That's important to get some marks.

7. Mmmh. forgot the name and it's quite Middle Eastern, and I kind of like it. The outside is roti and inside is like a veggie filling. 8. Maya's patisserie cafe.

9. iced Mocha - had quite many drinks on my various business meetings. Due to the Hari Raya holidays, my locals came to my hotel in order to save the travel time. 10. Club sandwich - though it doesn't look club sandwich, it's pretty good.

11. California chicken salad - I can't relate how Californian relate their salad dressing to Teriyaki dressing, or too many Japanese people staying in CA? Anyway, it's a nice salad - fresh veggie! 12. flourless Choco cake - good too and moist inside.

13. curry chicken noodle. 14. stir fried noodle, BBQ pork bun and thousand year egg fish congee - due to the Halal, they can't use pork for this original congee recipe. The flour "base" 麵種 needs to be kept for overnight. This one is too fresh and much too moist inside. BTW, it's not pork, it's chicken inside; so can't make a comment due to the pork restriction. Cantonese cooking uses a lot of pork. Even for the soup base of prime stock 高湯,"sub-prime" stock (just my naming it - it should be called as "clear broth")上湯 and the sub-sub-prime" stock 二湯 can't be made without pork. The above categories of soup base vary depending on the portion being put in it and to what kind of soup or food you are to cook, e.g. sub-sub-prime stock is used to stir fried veggie. :) Of course, the above is made in those professional Cantonese restaurants. You can't make it at home or unless you really want to make your home professional.

15. their home made yoghurt is pretty nice and especially it's not sweet. 16. Various fruits and I kind of enjoy grapefruit.

17. freshly squeezed orange juice. 18. jam from Australia.
19. They change the carpet in the elevators to remind you not to lose your day consciousness.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ur California Chicken Salad with teriyaki dressing is okay, good that not with Peking duck sauce hehe

Californian cuisine is one major cuisine in the North America, it comes with a little touch of fusion and it has (heavy) Japanese element

in the sea said...

Yes, I think it's the same when you order a Chinese Chicken salad in CA though we know in Chinese tradition we seldom take raw veggie. Just when they use sesame and some soy sauce in the dressing, it would mean Chinese or something oriental.... :) You now remind them of the availability of Peking Duck sauce as Hoi Seen Sauce (seafood sauce).

Stella said...

This restaurant and the food above do look good. I like Roti a lot as it is thin Indian bread. I like bread bread bread. Any kind of bread, but hot and crispy preferred. It is easy to feed me in fact.

in the sea said...

FYI, bread and most carbo. food can calm down people's emotion and good for getting a nice sleep... SS, I know why you like bread as it can get you slow down... and sleep for long hours.

Stella said...

You are right SEA. No wonder I like bread and dessert so much. This is the way my body tells me what "he" likes(needs) me to eat.