Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Grand Mama's, Level 6, Pavillions, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Advised by Android a food blogger in KL, I got to try this restaurant whose owner is the daughter of Madam Kwan's running another restaurant named as her name. (corrected 20th Nov., 2009).

1/2. the shop inside.
3. the lime and the shrimp paste and the chilli sauce. 4. Heinz sauce for the french fried.

5/6. Mama's Salad - kind of a fusion food as it used the old time Chinese New Year snack deep fried scattered crispy 蛋散 but the waiter called it as "魚生" and I guess it may be a certain Cantonese or Chinese dialect. Of course, we know it's not sashimi. Besides some red ginger was put and they used a salty plum sauce in it and it's actually quite sweet. I guess it needs to be made to the kids' preference.
7. Asam Lasak - think I told about this local noodle spicy shrimp/fish soup and in fact, I didn't like it much; so in order to make me try this one again (as like my Lai Po Heen's experience), I would rather try it again. Though it's still a bit fish/prawn smelly, it's better than those I tried in Penang. 8. Hainanese Chicken Rice - the rice is pretty good and the chicken too. The best part is quite unexpected - the mushroom. They used some very nice mushroom and the Chef used rock sugar to shimmer it for a long time. This is somewhat I really learned from my grand ma of putting rock sugar to make the dried mushroom tender. Besides rock sugar, she put dried red date in it. Nowadays I can't find such a way of cooking dried mushroom. She said mushroom is a "wet" food, putting red date is to balance out the mushroom "wet" elements.

9. Grilled chicken thigh - so as Madam Kwan's good at fried chicken, we tried this one and it's pretty good. 10. OK on the menu it's called Leong Fun Ice - what do you think of? I simply guess it's herbal jelly, but what do the English speaking persons know it's herbal jelly?
11. Then this one is in its English name "Red Bean Ice", not "Hung Dou Ice". BTW, did you try the red bean, herbal jelly, pineapple ice in your kids' time "紅豆波蘿涼粉橙"?

4 comments:

Stella said...

I never try red bean with pineapple ice. It is kind of "hot plus hot" though. And the taste does not match.

in the sea said...

Mmh... when I chatted about this topic, I found out this kind of street stall dessert was only available in Eastern part of HK island and some eastern part of Kowloon.

Anonymous said...

They're not under the same chain of Madam Kwan's i heard. They're a separate entity but owned by Mdm Kwan's daughter. Different management, different owner.

in the sea said...

Thanks Anonymous 1:25am for the clarification. Will amend it. Tks.