Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Flower Trump 花滿樓, Lynhurst Terrace 擺花街, Central, Hong Kong

The first time I tried at this Shanghai/Zi Chuan/Beijing cuisine restuarant was almost 7-8 years ago. Their wonton chicken soup is superb. The drunken chicken is one of the best I have ever tried and our friend Madam Fa who can't drink even took all the chilled wine sauce with the chicken; so you would know how good it is. The shop has now expanded another 2 branches in Tsimshatsui and Mongkok, but I still visited the original shop at Lynhurst Terrace in Central.

1. the table ware. 2. the shop inside.
3. my favourite wonton chicken soup - in a nice pumpkin shape pot - good for six person portion but I normally took 3 bowls (half of it). 4. the soup - see the white soup base. I can tell they use quite a lot China Golden Ham, chicken, pork. It contrasts the sweet taste of the veggie.

5. not too many people take the boiled stuff but I love it so much and no need to dip any soy sauce. If the soup is nice, the boiled stuff is also nice as it's soaked in the soup. 6. the free appetitzer - bean sprout with beancurd. Quite nice too.

7. Siu Lon Bao - pretty nice. 8. stir fried pork in seafood sauce in sesame "pocket" pastry. This dish is a bit too oily and also a bit too sweet and doesn't have the seafood sauce taste. Quite disappointed with this one.
9. Stir fried mixed mushroom/veggie on winter melon - very refreshing veggie dish. 10. free dessert - yellow bean coconut chilled cake (馬豆糕) - this one meant so much to me as it's the first chilled cake I made when I was 14 or 15. I almost lost my memory of how to make this one. However, that one I made was still in my memory as my sisters took them all which was already a nice gift to me.
11. Stanley Street - the renowned Mak Um Kee Wonton noodle shop is still here. This street has quite many nice restaurants developed, e.g. Nha Trang 芽莊, Dumpling Garden 餃子園, and the Wong Fu noodle and another nice curry restaurant....etc. Don't know why they first started with a small shop but then expanded out of this street and more and more....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i also heard that this restaurant is very good

was it in Michelin HK Guide?

no right! coz ask those farangs judge Chinese food is like having Asian to rate French cuisine, will those Frenchmen accept? so on what ground those farangs can point their finger on Chinese and Japanese cuisine in Hong Kong and Japan?

Stella said...

The food here looks so good, especially the wonton chicken noodle soup looks tasty.
However, the Xiao Lung Bao skin is not thin enough(compared to Ding Tai Fong's).
So this Stanley street has Mak Un Kee and Wong Fu huh.

in the sea said...

Can't comment on Michelin. When their report was made to the public, there had been quite many "har", "what", "how come" from local noises - either professional or general.

Just like congee, the history and some background of it should be noted rather than on just judging on the rice-pasty texture. Besides the cooking technique lies behind should be taken into consideration.

SS, yes, interesting that this part of the street seemed to be a cradle for the restaurants to start up their business.

Correct, the Xiao Lun Bao's wrap is not thin enough but my friend still ordered it when I already advised him.

Stella said...

My friend told me the restaurant inside the Peninsula Hotel is good and yet it is not included by the Michelin. Sea is right, Michelin may not be the bible of good food as it is too subjective. Sometimes the local general public may be a better judge than those at Michelin.

in the sea said...

I haven't been to the Chinese restaurant of Peninsula for a very long time. Mmh.. I didn't have a chance of checking what Michelin's rating is for HK.